Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Final Perennial to flower me

I know we debate each year the "true blue" color for a perennial flower. Even so I love the blue of Monkshood. It is the last perennial I have to finally put forth flowers...occurring just this past week....a sign for me that cold weather is not far off.

Comments (18)

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

Gorgeous!! I may finally give in and plant one next season after seeing yours. I do enjoy the late-season bloomers.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 years ago

I love my monkshood! This year I had a big patch trampled, as they are near the base of a giant triple-trunked oak that had to be cabled to be saved, so I had to sacrifice the monkshood bloom for this season in that spot - well, there are a few stragglers on the ground that will bloom, lol. I keep meaning to try some different varieties. I have to say, though, to my eye, the blooms are purple!

:)
    Dee

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have two stands of monkshood, although they are very close together. In the past I have found that they can flop; this is in part due to the great amount of shade they experience as they get quite tall and lanky, looking for that elusive light. So as an experiment I gave one of the plants a "chelsea chop" much earlier in the summer. The difference in height between the 2 plants right now is about 2 feet. The shorter one does have budding blooms...I estimate that they will be out in full about a week or two after the unchopped one.

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

rouge21 - thanks for that update--appreciate the information RE: the Chelsea chop treatment.

Original Author
    10 years ago

The tallest stalks are about 6 feet in height.

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    10 years ago

I love aconitum! I planted two small divisions (1 crown each) of 'Barker's Variety' in spring 2012 and they struggled with the heat and dryness of last summer, barely reaching 2.5-3 feet tall each. I didn't expect them to do much this year, but I was surprised that each of my two plants sent up two very robust and healthy stems this spring. They have been blooming now for almost 3 weeks and each stem must be at least 9 feet in length. At that height, they are not completely upright and are relying heavily on neighboring plants to stay even partially upright, but I do not mind this look. The stunning blue-purple blooms look stunning leaning into a giant 'Quietness' rose that is putting out a final display of silvery-pink quartered blooms. A serendipitous and unexpectedly magical fall combination!

In my conditions, at least, I have noticed aconitum seems to be a bit of a water hog and definitely responds well to regular supplemental water in periods of dryness.

I hope my aconitum clumps double in size again next season.

• Pat z6 MI
    10 years ago

I'm in SE Michigan and a gentleman down the street has monkshood blooming right now. It just blew me away last night and i was walking home with my puppy. What a sight amongst only green right now. I think he's in a mini-climate at the foot of our little hill.

Original Author
    10 years ago

the Chelsea chop treatment.

You can see more clearly the difference in height between the 2 MHood due to a "Chelsea Chop" to the right hand plant.

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    10 years ago

So pretty! I was looking at purchasing monkshoods seeds, but I was reading that they are very poisonous. Is this to the touch or if you ingest it?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks 'carolina'.

MH is considered to be an extra poisonous plant as all parts of it are deadly and its toxicity can be transferred even via a skin abrasion.

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

As Rouge says all parts of monkshood are considered poisonous and you read especially the roots, seeds and new leaves.

The highest concentration of several closely related neurotoxins (most reported, aconitine) is in the roots. Without quick intervention, even small amounts of ingested root will apparently result in death.

It's also clear that the death may result from aconitine entering the body through skin abrasions. The fact that monkshood was once used to poison arrows perhaps emphasizes this danger.

There is now no use of aconitine in internal medicine, but it is sometimes used, at very low concentrations, under medical direction, applied to the skin.

Aconite poisoning, however, can certainly occur as a result of aconitine on unbroken skin.

Gloves are definitely a good idea for gardeners handling monkshood. Since very similar neurotoxins occur in several popular perennials including larkspurs/
    delphiniums, it seems that gloves are also very desirable while handling other plants as well.

Larkspur deaths have only been reported for farm animals. Over time, human deaths from monkshood are very well documented.

I wonder how all this meshes with the use of monkshood in the flower trade?

I still love my monkshood, but it's always planted at the back of the mixed perennial beds.

Below, our best stand of Arend's (fall) monkshood: (October 20, 2013).

Original Author
    10 years ago

Look closely at your picture 'Sunny'....see the crazy resemblance? We each have a red flowering persicaria right beside the stand of MH!

(Mine is "Golden Arrows"....might yours be the same?)

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

Exactly, Rouge.

Mine is 'Firetail', but I have 'Golden Arrows' (thanks to you!) right next to that.

Think the Arend's monkshood and the persicaria are now providing the last blocks of colour in our garden. The foliage of the variegated phlox ('Nora Leigh' and 'Shockwave') also still look nice.

• gardenbug
    10 years ago

My Anemone Honorine Jobert blooms each year along with the monkshood. Around the corner? Golden arrow persicaria.

Some crazy individual in eastern Canada didn't believe that MH was seriously poisonous, so ate some to prove it. Died of course. That was several years ago.

• gardenbug
    10 years ago

Allium Ozawa is still blooming for me. I love it and many of my ornamental grasses too. Finally cut back the Anemone 'Queen Charlotte' yesterday. (This photo is from September though)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Excellent picture of "Ozawa" gardenbug...thank you.

• ontnative
    10 years ago

My 'Ozawa' are still in full bloom now (Oct.30) which I think is pretty terrific in my zone. Chrysanthemum Hillside/Sheffield, a single apricot pink, is still looking great as well. Physostegia 'Vivid' is just past its best, but continues to exhibit lots of bright purple-pink colour.

• TNflowerlover Zone 7a
    10 years ago

Thx, everyone. I always seem to have cuts or something, so I need to admire from a distance. I love the color, though!