Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iamgroovy

identify this perennial please

iamgroovy
9 years ago

this is a perennial, bought as a plant years ago and comes back every year. after the flower dies theres a small pod left with 4 or 5 tiny black seeds. grows about 3-5 feet

Comments (7)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Common name mallow, Malva sylvestris I think.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Malva sylvestris.

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

a hated weed for me, I am afraid. Try to not let it seed about....but if it does, whip out the seedlings quicksmart before they make a branching taproot which reaches Australia.

• Kirstin Zone 5a NW Chicago
    9 years ago

Interesting, Campanula--this is a prized perennial when I had it in my first garden, before we moved. Everyone asked me for seeds when they would see it in my yard. We occasionally carry it at the nursery--maybe one flat a year, and it always sells out quickly. This summer I was on a garden walk where I saw a variety called "Primly Blue," which I want to track down this winter, as it was lovely. It's always fun to see how different areas have different opinions of plants. One of the many things I enjoy about reading this forum!

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Those cultivars bred to have resistance to powdery mildew are quite valuable in the garden. That's the only rap on it to me-the prevalence of PM on this and all Malvaceae.

+oM

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i bought one ... it was a prized plant ..

the next year.. i had 100 ... it was no longer prized ... lol ..

the third year.. i started round upping them all ...

10 years later.. i am still RUing late germinating seed ..

i hate this plant with the passion of a million burning suns.. lol

ken

ps: i am pretty sure.. mine was an aggressive reseeding ANNUAL ... not a perennial ... maybe i am confused about mine compared to this one ... but i still hate mine ...

• Kirstin Zone 5a NW Chicago
    9 years ago

LOL- Ken, I had mine for 9 years. It reseeded, but not too aggressively. It also came back from the root. I will say that I kept it in an area with horrible soil, which perhaps helped keep it in check.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler