Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladychroe

Delosperma (Ice Plant) OK in pot indoors?

ladychroe
17 years ago

I have a Delosperma, not sure of the cultivar, but it's the hot pink kind. It made a fabulous potted plant, rarely needed watering, bloomed all summer. I have heavy clay soil, so it's probably happier in the pot, as I hear they prefer a dry sandier soil.

Thing is, I know that they're only moderately hardy in zone 6. What should I do with it to overwinter it? I'm sure leaving it in the pot out there is out of the question. Would it live in the pot indoors or die from lack of sun? Should I bury the pot? Keep it in the unheated detached garage?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• fennelgrl
    17 years ago

The first time I ever saw this plant, it was being kept as a houseplant. They do great indoors, in a hanging basket in the brightest window you can find. They will even bloom inside.

• ladychroe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It didn't make it through the winter - it kept getting spindlier and eventually bit the dust. We don't have any south-facing windows available, probably wasn't getting enough light.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

I've had great luck with overwintering nonhardy plants for my zone by keeping them in an area of my house I don't heat in the winter. It doesn't freeze, but does get into the low 40's during the coldest part of the winter. Once the temps get quite cold, I only water to keep the plants from shriveling. That forces them to stop growing and basically just set there the rest of the winter. Most I keep in a south or east window, but some are even in a north window and really don't suffer. They just stop growing, drop a few leaves, but come through in really good shape.

Kevin

• highalttransplant
    16 years ago

I have three different types of iceplants, and they are all listed as hardy to zone 5, so I'm not sure you needed to bring it indoors at all. Maybe next time look for a cold hardy variety and plant it out, or just leave it in the pot on a porch or somewhere that it won't stay wet over the winter. BTW, my soil is clay as well, and all of mine are thriving and blooming. I think they like the high desert climate here.

• fieldofflowers
    10 years ago

I have an ice plant I am overwintering right now (variegated type with near red flowers). It started as a cutting I took in August. It's a slow grower, but it has been perhaps one of the very few successes overwintering so far.

It's potted in a mixture of orchid bark/ perlite and peat and growing under direct fluorescent light. My place has been very dry and warm. It tends to get dry very quickly between waterings. So I guess overwintering and growing this as a near houseplant is possible, but maybe it's better for cuttings.

• echinaceamaniac
    10 years ago

Ice plant is a common name that could be anything. If you are talking about Delosperma, some will survive winter outside better than others. If grown inside, a simple shop light is enough to keep them alive through winter. I even root cuttings in winter of the ones I want more of.

• dbarron
    10 years ago

The original Delosperma cooperii always did really well wintering small cuttings for me. It'd be a pretty husky plant by spring and ready to flower.