Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hollyhock nigra and perennial aqueligias

Posted by titian1 Sydney, Australiae (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 20:37

Hi, Does anyone in this region, or similar climate, have experience of growing the black hollyhock (nigra) and perennial aqueligias. Before I fork out I'd be interested to know if they will grow, and in particular, if they consider that the black hollyhock looks weird or stunning. I'm intending planting it next to a couple of Russian hollyhocks, and behind roses,Mme Berkeley and Isabella Sprunt, with the aqueligias in front.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hollyhock nigra and perennial aqueligias

I'm in zone 7B. I don't know how similar that is to your zone, but it's very hot and humid here in the summer. Both of those plants do well here. I hope some more people in warmer zones will respond as well.

o

• Posted by titian1 Sydney, Australiae (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 0:01

Thanks echin........ Hot and humid here in summer too, and summer started in Spring. Do you have the black hollyhock? Does it burn? and do you like it?

o

I'm in a cooler zone so hollyhocks don't last more than a season or two where I am. As regards aquilegias/columbine, I did want to advise you that they're generally considered alpine plants and can be short-lived. I do have a few that return each year but am mostly just thankful rather than relying on them every season. They self-seed sufficiently to give the impression they've returned from the original plant altho' in Larry Hodgson's book, 'Perennials for Every Purpose,' the author refers to them as One Season Wonders that live, at best, 3 - 4 seasons.

o

Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 17:19

Thanks gardenweed. Great name! I read an article recently about how modern perennial cultivars are giving perennials a bad name, as they don't last more than 2 or 3 years.

o

The black Hollyhock looks great here. They are so easy to grow. I'd try some from seeds.

o

Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 17:01

Thanks echinaceamaniac. I googled the seeds, and will order some. Will look for some other hollyhock seeds as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here