Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
brown thumb with Centaurea gold bullion

Posted by greenthumbon1hand 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 21:06

Hello all,

I've planted numerous gold bullion for several years, and I've been left with 1 that overwintered. I planted them on a hillside in full sun after amending the soil with top soil, manure, and builder's sand for a depth of 2 ft, and only I has returned (last year I must have planted 12). Is it me, or has anyone else had the same problem? Could it be that they aren't hardy to zone 4, or is it a problem with the growing conditions? I can't remember the amount of water we gave them, but we usually water the beds 2-3 times a week in the summer when we notice that some of the plants are in need of a drink.
I didn't plant any this year, but if it's a problem that is easily corrected, I'd like to give them one more shot.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: brown thumb with Centaurea gold bullion

I planted one of these a couple of years ago - nice sized plant - and for some reason, it didn't even make it through the first summer. I usually don't have problems with plants croaking that quickly, so I've never tried it again. The planted looked fine when I got it, but just didn't seem to want to grow. It struck me as very odd.

Kevin

o

I have this one in zone 2b and it has wintered fine for me for at least three years although it is in a protected area on the east side of the house. I wonder if its a soil issue? I believe they do like a well drained soil and tolerate quite poor soil so maybe yours is too rich or moist for them? I think they may rot in soil that is too wet especially over the winter.
I love the contrast of the yellow foliage with the blue flowers. I am quite partial to this combo.

o

I don't know about GB specifically, but C montana doesn't like to be too wet. I've learned that when I buy perennials in pots to remove most of the soil they came with so I can have some say over the soil they are in when I put them in the ground. Maybe you know this too, but it's just something that comes to mind when someone says that a plant that is hardy in their zone doesn't come back, or doesn't grow. The peat just kind of collapses and collects water all winter to the detriment of a lot of plants. Also, if it isn't deadheaded it could sort of die back, or rest anyway, in the heat of summer, and then will grow back a new rosette in the fall if you don't get impatient with it and replace it. Anyway, heat and wet might be more of an issue than cold for this plant. This isn't a plant that will look good in August, at least not here.

o

I've planted the regular/boring variety in the same place as gold bullion, and they've taken off quite well. It will be interesting to see if they over-winter.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here