Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arthurm_gw

Pride of Madeira - Long term care.

arthurm
9 years ago

Apologies if this is not the right forum to post this question.

Not a problem to grow here. In fact it is spring, and next spring I want it to look like it does now. That is with about 30 spires of blue.

So, how does one prune it to contain this large plant and get blooms year after year?

It has to be contained otherwise it will overgrow the lawn and collide with the clothes line.

This post was edited by arthurm on Sun, Oct 5, 14 at 0:35

Comments (9)

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

Your mature plant must be beautiful in bloom! The flower heads should be removed just below the head as they become spent, but this plant does not respond well to heavy pruning (especially below foliage). Planning for size at planting is better than trying to contain them with pruning. It is generally recommended to allow some heads to drop seeds for replacement plants, or to purchase new stock, so they become established as the original plant reaches the age of decline. Then remove the older plant. If I recall correctly, there are some cultivars that are more compact.

• arthurm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sometimes planning for size does not apply because the person in charge likes this plant.
    Thank you for the info. I'll do what you suggest and your advice reinforces the suspicion that you cannot prune back to the old wood.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Move the close line? We must have our priorities clear . LOL. I would cut off my right arm to be able to grow Echiums.

• arthurm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol. I usually post over on the orchids forum. There are guys (mostly Cymbidium growers) who have fence to fence Cymbidiums and no clothesline.
    Maybe there is a micro climate somewhere in your 8bcenTx yard where you wont have to lose an arm?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Maybe a air-conditioned Greenhouse. I think it is also the heat in the summer combined with the cold, and the alkalinity here. I have never seen any anywhere in the state. If I don't see one, I won't have to cut my arm off.

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

No, you probably cannot grow them in Texas. Sunset lists them for zones 14-24; Texas contains Sunset zones 10, 27-31, and 33.

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

There are echiums and echiums - are you sure you could not grow e.wildprettii? Why could you not grow e.candicans (PoM) Mara? I had e.russicum several years ago and echium plantageum grows everywhere in Norfolk.
    Do tell - I am learning to have the greatest respect for quite a few of you US gardeners.....given the vicissitudes of your climate.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I think hummid heat, alkalinity and lack of water. I really can not irrigate much in my situation . Maybe I should just try and see if I can kill it. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised by failure.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I live in an area in California that is often above 100 degrees Fahrenheit which is 37.7 to you. I have seen Echium Pride of Madera and Echium Tower of Jewels succeed in my town, though I have not tried it myself. The garden that had the Maderia was uniformly filtered light due to a number of old Oak trees. The Jewels was in an area that only got morning sun. It is on my list of plants to try but I can never think where I could put one as they get so large. If either of you get one I would love to hear about it.

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA