Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lights out for Echinacea tiki torch/orange varieties

Posted by greenthumbon1hand 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 21:29

Sorry for the cheesy subject line......

Has anyone had problems with tiki torch? I've planted around 10 or them, and have had 1 overwinter. I've read that there are problems with the genetics, and I'm wondering what other people's experiences are, as well as with any of the other orange echinaceas (my fav color is orange, and I would like to try other varieties, but I'm getting the feeling that I'm just making a donation to garden centers when I buy one).

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lights out for Echinacea tiki torch/orange varieties

No experience with tiki torch here but I'm interested to know, too. I saw tiki torch on bluestone (I think) and I love it. I've been considering getting a few but have been a little apprehensive due to some of the newer echinaceas... issues, lets call them.

o

As with many of the paradoxa hybrids, this one seems to rot over winter more easily then the straight types for people.

I have had a few now for many years without issue. I have only lost one from aphids at the crown. So give them great drainage, don't mulch up the crown, and go from there.

Though I think tiki has the best orange, you can also now try out either starting from seed or buying plants of the 'Cheyenne spirit' line. A portion of them will come in as orange as well.

o

Over wintered its first year here in 2b for me. Not overly vigorous but I was impressed with the beautiful orange blooms that became more lovely I thought as they aged. Remains to be seen if it will survive another winter.

o

Thanks for the replies!

What did you do to over winter yours?

o

Just good snow cover(not a problem here!) I had my doubts it would survive by what I had heard about its hardiness so I was presently surprised.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here