Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

YAY! New Garden Tool Treats!

arbo_retum
9 years ago

Typical for me to not shop for a few yrs, and then buy a BUNCH of things at once. I had read many many reviews of the lightweight Water Right hoses and last night, hunting through the Gardener's Supply site, I found both the little coiled version and the 1/2 " 100' version- in moss and olive green. So I went for both of them and hope to have a report of joy before the first freeze.
I also found a new SHOVEL!!!! I love this. Any of you use this one? I love the narrowness of the tip, and the points; looks great for planting in tight spaces (there are rarely any other kind in this garden!)
http://www.gardeners.com/buy/spear-head-spade-garden-shovel/8586970.html?start=6&cgid=ShovelsHoes_Cat

We also got extra stand-alone clean-up bags.
We swear by these because they are large enough for branches, are v tough, have good handles, and they have a flat metal band that is threaded along the top edge to keep the bag sides from collapsing. This may not be a legit concern for many of you, but I also love them because they are so lightweight that I can rest them, open, on plants, w/o harming them, when I am in a contortion-inducing situation!

http://www.gardeners.com/buy/tip-bags-collapsible-leaf-bags/8586679RS.html?start=8&cgid=YardCleanup_Cat

Here is a link that might be useful: The Cotton-Arbo retum website

Comments (9)

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

mmmm, nothing like spending cash on lovely new tools! Yep, I know the bags you mean - I have a couple which are over 10 years old....and I love that they can be concertinaed back to take up a tiny space in the shed.
    I am still deeply invested in japanese blades and regularly salivate over pruning knives and secateurs (I have far too many). As today is my birthday, it may be time to buy myself a new Tina knife (from Germany) and I have been eyeing some hand-forged DeWItt tools(Netherlands) for ages.

My useless family have forgotten (again) but as I have my bank card to hand, I am giving myself permission to have a splurge.
    We call them spades over here, Mindy, while a shovel is a wide lifting implement for sand, soil, leaves.I have always been amused by the term 'shovel pruning'. There is a bewildering variety (I have too many) including various landscaping spades and shovels), but for some years now, my best garden tool is the thing which is used absolutely everywhere else in the world - a digging stick.......or a one bladed mattock (sometimes with opposing twin forks), set at an angle on a long pole.. Sometimes called (in trendy circles) an Azada. I had a local forge make me a brutal bramble ripping version.

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    9 years ago

Happy Birthday Campanula! Some of my favorite people were born around this time (daughter on the 20th). Enjoy your day and buy your own present - I always do.

• Kirstin Zone 5a NW Chicago
    9 years ago

Happy birthday Campanula. My soil knife is my current favorite tool. The next tool I want to own is a scuffle hoe. Actually, I don't know why I don't own one yet...I must get on that!

• Marie Tulin
    9 years ago

kirimarie walt nicke sells a scuffle hoe for a reasonable price. I love mine. If you get one, get a sharpening stone or file too. After a rough day in the dirt, the hoe's edge is dull and you have to work harder. a few swipes of the file and it is a joy to use. Credit to campanula for a persuasive piece on sharpening one's tools.

I have pointy shovel./spade. The little ooph left in my poor knees is magnified by the serrated edge and good food rest. Excellent tool, well worth the price.

I lose soil knives. Finally resorted to going to gross discount store and buying a big red chef's knife for little money. It is harder to lose and does the trick for half the price or less of a hori hori.

Marie

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I guess I am too late to which you happy birthday, Campanula. My son called mer at 11:45 pm and woke me up to which me happy Birthday last month.It was much appreciated. I am hoping that Santa brings me a fire rake and a drip torch to set fire to my place. A flapper thing on stick for putting it out. I forget what its called. I would love a riding lawn mower to make fire breaks. I guess I will just rent one.

• arbo_retum
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If a tool can be lost, I have lost it. Been there. My solution:
    either tie neon orange stretchy tape to a handle, or tape same w/ red tape.(Both hardware store items.) And I agree, those cheap chef or other knives from homegoods- work just great for dividing hostas etc.

• Marie Tulin
    9 years ago

an overplanted, thickly mulched garden is a great hiding place for tools.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

The larger a garden , the more tools to loose.

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

Yes, but finding them next season is like a bonus harvest....although there is a perennial debate (in my mind) between carbon or blue steel (best edge in the world) or stainless (survives a damp English winter).....plastic - ugly but immortal....or wood (hmmm), although have been conscientiously oiling mine all season.