Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erin815

Planting to soon!!

Erin815
10 years ago

I have planted my spring bulbs and I see them coming up already. I am in Zone 5 so this is not good!! Should I cut the new growth and/or leave or will it just die?? :(

Comments (9)

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

Chances are they'll be fine but if you're concerned, just whack the foliage down to about 3-4 inches so they don't go into full growth mode this late in the year if you get an extended warm spell. The new growth will likely die back once the temperatures lower into the freezing zone but the bulbs themselves should be fine--it's what they expect to happen this time of year.

Bulbs are generally pretty hardy in Zone 5 so just make a note of what does well next April and plan your garden accordingly.

Generally speaking, Mother Nature has been coloring the landscape with spring blooms the past few million years without our help so I'm guessing your bulbs will simply make your personal landscape a bit prettier in a few months.

Best of luck to you!!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

if you dont tell us what the bulbs are .. how can we answer ...

sonme sprout now ... and facilitate use of the sun ... and the leaves are witner hardy ... grape hyacinth comes to mind ..

some dont...

but either way.. they used that energy ... for personal reasons..lol

why do you think you can improve on their usage.. by cutting off their heads????

give us some names.. but never forget my caveat: TRY NO TO KILL THINGS WITH TOO MUCH LOVE ...

ken

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

Haven't seen that.

We're on high ground (Oak Ridges Moraine) and with the sun being low in fall and all the hedges, trees and fences, there's a lot of shadow.

I do plant somewhat deeper than the (European) bulb planting instructions.

April 19, 2013:

• Erin815
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all. I am just going to sit back and take my chances. I have planted at least 300. We've moved to a new house so I waited until I knew what I had before digging up the ground. I did manage a nice garden while I waited........

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

We occasionally have bulbs grow during long or unseasonably warm falls. They die back with the frost and return to bloom the next spring.

I don't have any bulbs up this fall but some of the early dwarf bearded iris are blooming again.

I think of them as nature's surprise to add some joy to my days.

• gardenweed_z6a
    10 years ago

As a general rule, spring bulbs such as crocus are pretty much indestructible. I have crocus, Puschkinia, daffodils (among others) that have returned year after year for more than 30 years in my garden (some even in the lawn) with no skipped seasons.

In my experience the amount of daylight isn't an autumn trigger for them to die off but rather an early spring season signal for them to push up through the ground and bloom.

Erin815 - chances are most of your bulbs will survive. Be patient, accept that you may lose some, and allow those that survive sufficient time (i.e., a season or two) to settle where you planted them before expecting them to produce blooms.

In my experience, gardening isn't a chore you check off your To Do list--it's a journey of discovery with endless possibilities.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

I've found that as long as the flower buds stay underground, they will be fine till spring.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

I've found that as long as the flower buds stay underground, they will be fine till spring.

• Erin815
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Gardenweed! I like to spend as many hours working in my gardens a day as I can. I love spring flowers so I really have done a number!!! I lost count after 300 or 400 bulbs! I grow them to brighten up my house. I love creating arrangements and I find it very sincere to cut flowers out of my own yard for my family and friends. The $ tree is a great place for vases as give aways!!! :) KEN,,,,it is the hyacinths that I'm seeing! Keep on gardening.....:) Erin

Sponsored
GardenWise
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Award Winning Metro D.C. Landscape Architecture & Design Build Firm