Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good day in the garden....

Posted by woodyoak 5 (Canada) (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 22:28

We've had a couple of heavy rains in the past week or so finally making it finally possible to plant the last of the things in pots. Plus it was a good day to do some significant cutting things down. The asters were the big chore - the purple one (which I'm pretty sure is a wild one) had got totally out of hand so we dug out all the asters - even the named ones! The only survivor was the purple one that grows up through a dwarf lilac - DH thought it looked too pretty to remove! It'll at least get cut down when the flowers start to fade. This is what the side of the road looked like when we were done (we have regular garden waste pick-up with the weekly 'green bin' garbage collection):
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

You can also see that there is hardy hibiscus foliage in that pile. We cut down all the Disco Belles, which are finished now and starting to yellow. The 'child' pink one is still going strong though so we left that one. It seems to have changed this year - perhaps reverting to something in its ancestry. It's always been later to start blooming, and blooms later into the year, than the Disco Belle parent - but never this late! Plus the flowers are a different shape and color than they usually are. This is what it looked like today:

Here is a very out-of-focus picture of the aster that DH wouldn't cut down:

Rouge - has your Paprika rose been putting out long canes with new flowers? Mine has lots of them now. Last year it produced a few but there are many more now. It finally occurred to me that these new, long canes must be seedling ones from last year's hips! My seed-grown Angel roses do that and the OSO Easy roses look much like the Angel ones. The Peachy Cream rose is also doing the same thing. All these roses now have hips coloring up from the summer flowers plus the new long flowering canes. Roses bloom the first year from seed so it makes sense to me that these new canes are seedlings.

Tomorrow, weather permitting, we'll finally get the Midnight Marvel hibiscus and a couple of seedling Japanese Maples into the ground. That'll be the last plantings for this year. A week or so ago I picked up about 8 Christmas and Holly ferns for $2.75 each and planted them in a small bed near 'the wet corner' where an old, dead apple tree finally fell down this summer. There are a bunch of trilliums there so the ferns will be good companions for them. I'll plant two of the JM seedling there too I think.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good day in the garden....

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 9:53

Yes, sounds like a good day! I feel so good when I finally get the monkeys off my back - stuff I know has to get done. I love the color of that hibiscus, it is so vibrant. I can see why your DH wouldn't cut down the aster - I like it too :0)

o

I love that aster and how it's growing. Very good decision to leave it be.

I'm soooo in the fall clean-up mood, but with day 3 of rain, I just sit and look out the windows. I'm actually way ahead of myself, so there really isn't all that much left to do.

Kevin

o

Wow - nice pictures and you have to feel satisfied at having lots of stuff done. BUT --- I sure would love to have your 'clean-up' for my compost bin.

I have a hoop house made of pvc with rebar going through that used to be a chicken house. We covered it with wire mesh and it is now my compost bin. Varmints keep eating through the wire mesh but I really don't care any more --- they have to eat too. It feels good to have a place to put all of our food waste. Right now is canning time for me so I have lots of tomato/fruit peelings, etc.

o

That stuff didn't go to compost because I don't trust the seeds of either of them not to survive composting! I don't want to spread their seeds around when spreading compost.... :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here