Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Groundcover for next to sunny paver patio

I posted in Groundcovers a few weeks ago but it seems it is not a very active forum.

We put in a front yard paver patio a few years ago. The edge facing out to the street is zig zag. For whatever unknown reason, we have been unable to get grass growing in the zags, even though there was grass growing normally there before. The grade was slightly changed and we installed sod right after it was done. The sod looked fine but by the next spring was dead. Then we tried seed for a few years. All dead. The area occupied is basically 3 three foot square sections. Two sides of each are bounded by the pavers, one side by garden bed, and the remaining is the rest of the lawn.

I am ready to give up on grass for these sections. I could just expand the garden to fill these nooks, but it is necessary to drag the hose across at least 2 of them to water a bed on the other side. So anything I put there really needs to be short or hose proof. Conditions are mid morning sun til about 2 pm, then house shade afterward. It can be very hot in the summer. This area gets watered a lot, though, as I have patio planters in abundance.
I have a fancy leaved English ivy in one bed. I thought it would not survive the winters but it has done well. I could take cuttings but I'm not sure I want something long and vine-y in that area though.

Any suggestions? I'm not really interested in the common ground covers like pachysandra or vinca.

Visiting the Missouri Botanic Garden recently I saw a plant that I thought looked promising: Ajuga Mahogany. It looks a lot like purple baby leaf lettuce. I have Ajuga Chocolate Chip in another garden, and have not been that impressed with it. But the A. Mahogany was short (~ 3") and very full. It is also a brownish purple that would go GREAT with the heucheras I have. Anyone grow this?

Thanks for your ideas for what is really a weird situation.

Comments (12)

• titian1 10b Sydney
    10 years ago

I don't know if they would work for your climate, but creeping thymes like sun and can take heat, and grow remarkably quickly here.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    10 years ago

Cfreeping thymes will work well. I suggest you look at the ones sold by High Country Gardens, especially the very flat ones.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

The Missouri Botanical Garden was one of my favorite haunts when I lived in St. Louis. Still a must stop when I am in the area.

A mass of dwarf heuchera

Tiny reblooming daylily

I have been thinking about why the grass dies. If nothing else grows there the soil may need to be amended or replaced.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Mon, Oct 28, 13 at 9:55

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I grow creeping red thyme along the street curb. It gets very dry there and the creeping thyme does well. After the first bloom it is cut back for a second bloom. The same area has grape hyacinths which grow through the thyme in the spring and dies back until late fall.

Another suggestion is a mat forming dianthus. Article Fire is long blooming for me with some rebloom and foliage stays nice. I also have a white one that gets a little taller bit doesn't rebloom.

How a out a low growing ornamental grass? One clump of sporobolis, several clumps of blue fescue or carex 'Ice Dancer'.

A short growing hardy geranium.

Portulaca, moss roses, low growing sedums, hens & chicks.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

I like lamium and ajuga. They're indestructible and have pretty purple flowers. I walk on them.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all these suggestions! I do need something that can get stepped on, and have the hose dragged across. More the latter than intentional stepping on.

It is funny but grass grew there just fine before the patio install. When that was done new soil was put in all around most of the patio, but not that specific spot; and sod laid. We decided the old grass there looked sad near the new sod, so we opted to put in new sod there ourselves. The sod we put in didnâÂÂt make it, so we started seeding, but neither one lasted for more than one season.

I really liked the look of the Ajuga Mahogany, but have no idea if it can take any traffic. Susan , what kind of Ajuga do you have? I have a silver lamium elsewhere and it is patchy, has never filled in.

It looks like thyme is my best option. I have not wintersowed, but it seems like I need to start.

• rosiew
    10 years ago

Look also at "Steppables". I have some but can't recall the names. Just google it.

HTH, Rosie

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Most of the plants I listed can take some crushing by a hose/being stepped on and will recover quickly. When the grasses get stepped on I fluff them up and they are fine. The mat forming dianthus hug the ground and I don't even notice its having been stepped on.

• trovesoftrilliums
    10 years ago

How about creeping phlox, Phlox subulata.

Or, large raised planting boxes. :)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

I'd also consider doing a soil test. Perhaps lime from the patio block is effecting the soil pH or there's another problem such as soil compaction stemming from the patio build.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

The ajuga I have is Caitlyn's Giant. It's very thick and burgundy colored. Mountain phlox works well around my slate steps. I weed whack it back before winter.

• growlove
    10 years ago

Mahogany ajuga works well for me and spreads slowly. The blue flowers in Spring are lovely. Seems to take little care. I am gradually digging and transplanting to edge a rather long flower bed. The plant stays lovely all summer. Mine is growing in rather heavy soil and does very well. Mary