Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miclino

I've been hijacked!

miclino
10 years ago

Haven't been around here in a bit, the conifer forum folks have introduced me to a new addiction. For your own sakes stay away and save yourselves while you can......been removing perennials to make space. Although I will mostly go for a mix of conifers and shrubs/perennials. I don't really consider myself a collector of conifers yet although Ken might disagree. Just a sampling of an area I redid.....

{{gwi:279894}}

Comments (14)

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

Bah. I see three in the photo. Hardly an obsession. ;-)

PS: Oh, and my most recent purchase was a Cryptomeria japonica 'Sekkan-sugi' Shhhh

This post was edited by Gyr_Falcon on Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 23:41

• miclino
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There's more......and then some
    {{gwi:279895}}

{{gwi:279896}}

{{gwi:279897}}

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    10 years ago

Conifers are a good addiction. Your yard will have plenty of winter interest and they make good habitats for the birds. I wish I had more sun and space for them.

Are these you're showing in their "forever" homes? Or will you need to give them more room as they grow out a bit more? I'm especially wondering about the first pic of your second group.

• david883
    10 years ago

I wish I had a little more sun and space, too. I'm not usually a huge conifer fan (not that I don't like them but I wouldn't consider myself a fan) but someone, I think Karin_MT posted a photo with this blue conifer that was just amazing and ever since then I've been warming up to them lol. Nice photos! Careful... one or two more and you MIGHT be considered obsessive ;)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

Yep....I recently bought two dwarf blue spruce - love them!

• miclino
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Most of what I purchased are considered dwarf so growth rate is very slow. However none are in permanent locations because after several years they will outgrow the spot. At that point I will move them.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

yea. yea.. yea ..

the crack addict always blames the pusher...

no personal responsibility ...

lol

ken

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    10 years ago

How fun! There is nothing that compares to the excitement of a new plant addiction, LOL!

But in the end, your new conifers are "perennials", right? So keep posting photos and updates here so we can enjoy how your garden evolves. Many of us are always on the lookout for new ideas and striking garden combinations.

• miclino
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken is the equivalent of Walt on Breaking Bad!

• MammaNature
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! They're so adorable when they're little babies like that. I want them all! I am desperately in need of more conifers in my yard. All I have is a mini thuja arborvitae and a second one that is supposed to be a mini but, since buying and moving into this house spring/summer of 2012, has grown by leaps and bounds. It was only slightly larger than its brother, but now is four times the size or so. I definitely am jealous of your "conifer addiction". You should label the pictures with the plant names for people like myself, who, despite hailing from northern Minnesota (the land of conifers) have no idea when it comes to these beautiful plants.

• marquest
    10 years ago

I prefer them because of winter interest. It is not a bad habit to have.

I feel sorry for people that plant only perennials and looking for flowers all the time and in the winter their gardens look like a grave yard.

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

I can see in my future that this will be my next plant addiction too. This fall I spotted some prostrate Scotch pine that would look apropos in our rugged setting here. Plus I am realizing that dwarf evergreens are a natural fit for the rock garden, stone wall environment that I love so much.

So good work Miclino, in making that slippery slope just a little bit more slippery for the rest of us!

• miclino
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just to make it worse, this is a great site for dwarf conifers with pics and descriptions

Here is a link that might be useful: Coniferkingdom

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    10 years ago

So you are planning on moving some of them later on. I asked because I would love to squeeze some in like that, but when they're small my perennials will shade them too much. When they grow bigger, I don't have enough room. I can only have a few, so I'll live vicariously through your gardens. Thx for the pics.