Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karolina11_gw

How to effectively use Gaura?

Karolina11
11 years ago

I bought some Gaura Lindheimeri early this spring and I cannot seem to find a good home for it. Thus I am looking for some advice as I do my bed planning for next year.

I originally had it planted in the back of a bed due to its height but I realized you couldn't appreciate the delicate flowers from far away. Thus I moved them to the front of a mixed bed. Behind it I have a Love Grandiflora rose and Achillea Paprika to one side which make the white flowers stand out nicely. However, due to it's size and splaying it makes the bed look disorganized. I will try cutting it back next year to make it more compact but I am trying to find a place for it that will show it off. It is a good long blooming plant so I don't want to give up on it just yet. Does anyone have any photos of their gaura in a mixed bed? I need some inspiration.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)

• linaria_gw
    11 years ago

Hi Karolina 11
    sorry, got no pic,
    but with Gaura IMO it is very important to "starve" them. In my experience they flop badly if fertilizer or regular irrigation is applied.
    -------
    I think part of their charm is the slightly unruly semitransparent growth. I keep them together with Verbena bonariense, and their flowers next to each other look great. Both like poor soil as well.

I did a planting scheme for a kind of "gravel bed theme with naturalistic/semi-wild look": gritty, well draining soil, full sun. And then I put in some sparsely Gaura, Pennisetum Sedum Matrona (and some cant remember) in well spaced small groups.
    Accompanied by ground covers like Geranium renardii and other low growing dry-tolerant stuff with delicate foliage. (it just got planted so nothing worth showing)

My idea was to give the Gaura enough space to spread or sprawl . And it should grow pretty upright anyway in this soil.
    ----
    My guess is that a Gaura near a rose (which gets annually fertilizer?) isnt such a good combination.

There are shorter cultivars like "Whirling Butterfly". And pruning it to make it more compact IMO gets rid of their lovely loose airy habitus.

Perhaps you find a sunny spott with poor soil for them, throw in some lavender and stuff and it should be fine.

(hope you dont mind the botanical name but I know only so little common names not being a native speaker).

Good replanting, I am off now to redo my perennial bed, (yea, finally some spare time), happy autumn, bye, Lin

• User
    11 years ago

mmm, this is exactly how I grow gaura - in a sort of gravel/scree bed with other airy perennials such as althea cannabina, achilleas, agapanthus, verbena bonariensis, dierama pulcherimma, indigofera heterantha, salvia greggii and stipa gigantea, with other moundier plants such as erodium chrysantha, alchemilla mollis, baptisia purple something and various pinks and grasses. It faces west so the evening sun shines through the plants. It looks good at all times of the year and is the part of my garden which has consistently given the most joy.

• wagonwheel
    11 years ago

Gaura is middle left. This picture was taken in August. We are in severe drought area here in NE Iowa so I had to water everyday this summer just to keep things going. Then in August we got .4" of rain twice and you wouldn't believe the difference that made. Many of my perennials bloomed a second time. I have another closer up picture I will try to find.

• Karolina11
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do have a few more "airy" perennials that I can pair this with along with some sedums and groundcovers. I will need to move something around but I am loving the idea! Campanula, do you put your mounding perennials in front or scattered?

I also had not considered the rose fertilizer contributing to the heavy soil causing it to sprawl, that is a good point! Thank you!

• Karolina11
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wagonwheel, we must have posted at the same time. I love your photo! Stunning! I do now think that my main issue is that my soil might be too rich and thus causing it to sprawl because it is much messier than yours. Do you prune yours back? Also, what is that yellow groundcover in front of it? That photo is so lovely!

• wagonwheel
    11 years ago

This is surrounded on backside with pink coneflowers and blue dwarf delphinium but this angle doesn't show them. This guara blooms a long time. The liatrus in back was already done blooming.

• wagonwheel
    11 years ago

Karolina, The ground cover is creeping jenny/aka as moneywort. Its spreads but I like the look in this bed. I just pull it out where I don't want it. Coneflowers, delphs and irises grow right through it. The soil in this bed is very hard and doesn't hold moisture long. I usually know the first year I plant something there if its going to like it there. This is the 3rd year for guara here. I have never pruned it back.

• User
    11 years ago

Hi Karolina,
    my gravel garden is actually just a rectangle about 6m x 8m. I have a few more solid shrubs such as cytisus and cistus, burnet roses and philadelphus, which form a rough outline while the general layout tends to have no real back or front as it is accessible from all sides. So, I just intersperse things such as alchemilla, dianthus, geum chiloense somewhat randomly while the taller perennials are planted in a very haphazard manner - easy to get away with because the overall effect is very light, fluid and transparent. Annual cosmos can work very well in this sort of planting, along with alliums and species tulips earlier in the year.
    Mind, my garden has none of the formal harmony of WW's garden but tends to a rather jumbled mingling of flower and foliage which definately benefits from the added backlit sunlight.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

Gardenweed has a couple of photos of gaura on this thread. Perhaps she also has some from farther away.

Here is a link that might be useful: full sun combos