Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southerngardening24

corydalis solida

Is anyone growing corydalis solida? It looks like a very pretty plant that would look good among some of my shade plants. Any thoughts/experiences with this plant?

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

I have the plain mauve version in dryish shade under a birch along with hellebores, ferns, Cyclamen hederifolium, etc. It needs to be right at the front where you can see it because it is low and not very brightly coloured. It is a very early spring bloomer and then disappears in the summer. It's easy to assume it's gone completely until it suddenly reappears the following spring. I first saw it in brown winter grass in N Germany where winters are much colder than here so it's pretty hardy.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

I grew it in Oklahoma, and the clump got larger, after 4-5 years, I had noticed one seedling. I had no fear (none) that it would ever get out of control (sadly) (lol).
    It was reliable and somewhat of a surprise, because with our weird weather, it would pop out of the ground and be blooming the next day. Bloom period was pretty short, maybe 2 weeks though.

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Can be difficult to get rid of if it seeds into a place where it's not wanted.

Unlike Corydalis lutea it grows from a corm rather than a fleshy root.

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Corydalis, including C. solida (the darker purple one), in Merlin's Hollow (May 10, 2014), the garden designed and built by David Tomlinson, in Aurora, On.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

All of those could be C solida as there are pink cultivars.

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Interesting, Floral.

I'll ask David and see what he planted.
    Will confirm.

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

David planted a selection of varieties/cultivars, a number from a breeder in Latvia who has a wide variety of colours.

True they're all Corydalis solida.

David said that Corydalis solida varieties/cultivars hybridize very easily.

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great picture! I wonder if they can become as invasive as the oxalis I'm still trying to get rid of? Its corms multiply insanely fast. C. lutea may be a better choice. They are beautiful though.

• linaria_gw
    9 years ago

IME they seed freely. The seeds have some stuff attached to them which is something like " ants' bread", they can feed on it and therefor are very activ shlepping the seeds around and help distributing the seeds.

I have some growing around Hostas and it is a good combination. They do multiply but they are ephemeral plants and go dormant aft a while.

There is a short slightly messy phase when the yellowing stalks lie around. But I reall like them, they flower so early and look so cheery.

My batch has some white ones mixed in and different shades of pink.

I found a very deep red cultivar offered in some German catalogue and they sugested that you weed out (pull probably) the dull colored ones regularly if you are keen on certain colors.

If you plant them in a larger border, leave them alone and don't take ahoe to the bed, they should thrive,
    a perfect plant for relaxed gardeners ( in order to avoid the term lazy...)

Bye, Lin

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

In my area of the world C lutea seeds freely in any nook and cranny and is evergreen all year round - basically it is a weed here but one I leave alone. C solida has never spread much beyond its original spot. I wouldn't compare the two remotely as regards self sowing. And anyway C solida disappears completely in summer. It is nowhere near Oxalis in spreading terms.

• gardenprincethenetherlandsZ7/8
    9 years ago

This year I cut off all the foliage immediately after flowering. The seed is ripe before you know it and it seeds everywhere. Sometimes I can appreciate that but Corydalis solida is in a border with little bulbs and Hacquetia and it has a tendency to smother those plants.

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I really appreciate all the comments! They will be placed away from other plants if I decide to purchase some.