Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Eye Susan Coneflowers winter

Posted by kgardening 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 5, 06 at 4:39

Hello,

Does anyone have any suggestions of what to do with Coneflowers and black-eyed susans now that winter is coming? Should I cut them back or just let them die back. They still have green leaves. This is my first year growing them and they did pretty well. I am hoping they will come back next year. Not sure what to do with the perennials that are planted and want to be sure I remember where and what I have planted.

The garden bed is mixed in with some annuals and bulbs that will come up in spring. I want to clean up the beds but do not really know how to take care of the soil and not disturb the spots that have bulbs coming up for next year.

thanks
kgardening

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Eye Susan Coneflowers winter

• Posted by sinai 7/Alabama (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 5, 06 at 7:29

You can cut the flower stalks back or leave the cone heads if any for the birds to eat....I just let any foilage die back over winter and then in the spring when new leaves start to come up I remove the old foilage....Drawing little diagrams of my beds helps me keep up with my plants too...approximate placement and how many, nothing fancy. If it was me and I did cut them back to clean up the beds now I would be sure to leave it a few inches high to make it easier to find in the spring...some plants leave enough residue over the winter to easily see where it was and sometimes it just disappears and that's when diagrams or tags of some kind come in handy...Something else that helps in the spring is patience....:)

Paul

o

Thanks,

This year I tried a mixture of new things. I usually went with the annuals. This year I added in some perennials. I may put in some pansies so the beds do not look so bare. The diagram makes sense. A few perennials did not make it through the summer (phlox and shasta daisy) I may not get them back next year. I also have some lantana but do not know if it will make it through the winter. Perhaps I should cover it or bring it inside and put it back out in spring.

It is still interesting to see what happens. You know you learn as you go.

o

If you think you can't find a particular plant's space, put a plastic or wood ring/square on the area. I do this with some bulbs so I don't accidentally dig into them before they come up.

It isn't a bad idea to trim off most of the old woody stuff. Remove the debris so if there is any diseased material it won't contaminate the bed. Kind of looks a little neater unless you're in a wild area.

o

That is a good idea. Will probably add some mulch to make things look a little neater also. Thanks

o

Note that coneflowers generally are late to return from winter's cold, so be careful in the spring since it is easy to miss a still-dormant coneflower when most everything else is starting to put out leaves.

o

My coneflowers have always been extremely easy and hardy, so I have no doubt yours will come back fine, unless you have one of the new unusual varieties -- I've seen others write that some of them are not as hardy as they had wanted.

As for the black-eyed susans, I've grown the common annual kind for years. They are good at dropping seed and there are always new ones growing the next year. Sometimes, it seems that they are perennial and I get new growth from the same plant in the spring, but I'm not sure if that's the case or if it was just a seed growing right on top of the old roots. On the other hand, if you bought the Rudbeckia fulgida kind, those are perennial, and they should come back just fine. I think the main difference between the fulgidas and the regular Rudbeckias is that fulgida has very large leaves at the base of the plant and has more orange-ish flowers.

o

• Posted by nancyd 5/Rochester, NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 16, 06 at 16:14

My "old" variety BE Susans are very hardy and will re-seed and spread every year. I always let them die back on their own. The goldfinches love to eat the seeds of all coneflowers and they're fun to watch. Once all the seeds are gone, then I'll cut them back. I used to just cut down the stems, but there is a fungus / leaf spot that has been attacking the leaves which I just noticed on my own plants this year. I think I'll cut the entire plant back to the ground this year once they die and see if that helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here