Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
High Country Gardens going out of business!

Posted by ispahan 6a Chicago (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 7:29

Nothing has been updated on their website yet, but there are rumors circulating that High Country Gardens will be shutting its doors for good.

There is a thread about it on the Cottage Gardens forum here on GW.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: High Country Gardens going out of business!

So sad. There's now a message from David Salman on the HCG website.

o

Oh, that's terrible news! I've gotten many wonderful plants from them over the years, but worse yet, I'm in the midst of a lawn project involving their dwarf fescue grass seed, and was planning to order more this spring. Anyone know where to get it?

o

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that.

o

Wow, this comes as a surprise to me. I didn't realize they were having any troubles. Very sad, as they were a reputable company.

I have to say, though, regarding the message on their site - is it even legal not to provide at least a refund for a gift certificate? Am I reading that correctly? Seems to me when you buy a gift certificate there is a promise of future product/material, and if they can't come through with that, they should at least refund the money. I wonder if they are filing for bankruptcy, or just closing the business. Replacement plants, and maybe even refunds for plants, they may be able to get out of, but the gift certificate thing to me leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Glad I didn't buy any this year as gifts!

That being said, sorry to see them close.

Dee

o

Box Stores - 1
Independent Nurseries and Growers- 0
It's the new world order.

o

Box Stores - 1
Independent Nurseries and Growers- 0

Yup and good luck finding many unique/interesting plants at those BBS ("Big Box Stores")..... disappointing.

o

What a bummer! They were such a good source for drought, cold tolerant plants. I will miss them. Thankfully I live in an area with several great nurseries carrying plants you won't find at the BBS.

o

How sad. Glad I'm not holding a gift certificate. Here's a news article.

Here is a link that might be useful: Santa Fe Greenhouses closes doors...

o

I'm happy to report that High Country Gardens is back in business and shipping beautiful, drought tolerant plants and perennials. You can read about the transition by visiting the blog on our home page (entry posted March 1).

Here is a link that might be useful: High Country Gardens website

o

Glad they are back in business!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here