Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best time to transplant Geranium sanguineum

Posted by dorry2 7/MD (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 12, 06 at 8:08

I have several mounds of these geraniums and I want to transplant them. Is fall a good time for this perennial? I know many fall is a good time for transplanting most plants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best time to transplant Geranium sanguineum

I would move them in the spring here. It is getting pretty late in the fall now for newly transplanted perennials to re-establish before the winter sets in and the ground freezes. If you have several to move, try moving one now and leave the rest until spring, just in case.

o

• Posted by donn_ 7a, GSB, LI, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 13, 06 at 9:24

I planted out a couple of small edge divisions, received in a trade, in October of 2004. They have flourished, and become a giant clump, which I will divide again next fall. I'll try to do it earlier than October, however, just to be safe. The transplants rooted very quickly.

o

In zone 7, you are safe to transplant as late in fall as the soil is workable. Soils in zone 7 don't freeze to any significant extent - couple of inches maybe and then only if a prolonged cold spell, usually occurring much later in the season. Roots will remain quite active until soil temps drop below 40F and hardy geraniums are very forgiving and root easily. Mulch if you feel the need.

In zones 7 and above, one does not really need to be scared of winter gardening. I am a bit milder to be sure, but I plant and transplant all winter as long as the weather is the slightest bit agreeable.

o

• Posted by nancyd 5/Rochester, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 13, 06 at 10:41

IF you can dig out the entire root ball with little disturbance, you can move them now. It's fairly easy to do with this plant. If you're unsure, then wait until spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here