Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dbarronoss

WellSpring Gardens Buy

dbarron
9 years ago

Well, having last week moved into a new house, with essentially nothing planted (no trees, no shrubs except invasive privet...that must be killed, no perennials) I moved a number of perennials from the old house and also went online to WellSpring Gardens and bought a few things that I figured I could grow in a South window for the winter and plant out a bit larger in Spring.

I bought a Bletilla yokohama 'Kate', Crinum herbertii 'Shreck', Crinum 'Ellen Bosanquet', Fargesia rufa, and a freebie of Dianthus allwoodii 'Frosty Fire'.

The bletilla was more than ready to escape it's pot, when I peeled the thin plastic off to get it out of the pot, it was totally rootbound, with two new growths just emergent. It looks much happier in a 3 inch pot.

I expected the crinums to grow happily all winter, but the foliage was slightly yellowing when it arrived and I'm certain headed into dormancy now. I'd never grown crinums indoors, but apparently this is normal for these. Probably why they have even a shot of living here outdoors, they can do winter dormancy.

The bamboo is also sending out new growth. It tends to make me laugh, and wonder how long before it'll stop looking like a small pot of papyrus and start looking like a shrub bamboo. For it's own safety, I'll keep it in a pot till it's at least 1.5 foot high before daring to plant in the ground...though after this winter, I'll keep it outside. This year, the new growth is forcing me to keep it indoors in a cool winter.

The dianthus is also starting new growth, so I wonder if I'll have carnations in the windowsill during the winter ? :)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz