Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Parthenocissus henryana, aka Chinese Virginia Creeper

Posted by coolplantsguy z6 Ontario (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 16, 12 at 8:38

Anyone grow this? Looks very interesting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Parthenocissus henryana, aka Chinese Virginia Creeper

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 16, 12 at 12:18

It's been a stunning vine that is very well behaved in our part shade backyard. When the leaves turn red in fall it's breathtaking next to yellowed oriental lilies. The leaves stay on until a hard frost then drop overnight and since they're not that large don't make a mess on the patio.

Corrine

o

LOOOOVE it but NH(not hardy) here z.5/6. Tried it anyway, long ago; lost it. For that color combo of dark moss/forest green and grey silver,see Cissus discolor, an annual here that i am trying to overwinter indoors this year.
best,
mindy
www.cottonarboretum.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: parthen. henryana

o

Very vigorous and beautiful...this year, I noticed that in addition to the red foliage, there were some blue berries as well :-)

parthenocissus

o

'Very vigorous and beautiful' - you can say that again. We have this up the back of our house which is 4 storeys high. We have to trim it twice a year to stop it getting into the roof and growing over the windows. I planted it about 23 years ago in a small gap in paving without any soil prep. Goodness knows where it gets its nourishment. It never sets berries here because I don't think we get enough summer heat. By the time it flowers it's too late. The leaf colour of dark green and silver is best in the shady parts. At the moment it is dropping its leaves outside the back door but I don't mind sweeping them up at all. The trunk is 18 inches circumference where is comes out of the ground. The picture shows the bottom of the vine outside the kitchen. Imagine a similar density of foliage for 3 more storeys.

o

That is an outstanding picture Flora. Thank you.

(Btw, by chance is that a Corydalis 'Lutea' in the bottom corner?)

o

Quite right, rouge21. It self seeds in our steps and walls.
Here's the base of the vine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here