Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hollyhock in container?

Posted by katefisher Z7_NorthernCA (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 2, 08 at 9:00

Last year I planted hollyhocks in our back yard and this year they bloomed wonderfully. However as soon as they became heavy with blooms the spider mites moved in and they started flopping. I suspect the major flopping was due to limited sun and water runoff from the lawn. Also I have roses planted relatively close by so the spider mite issue was a real problem.

I want to move them in the spring. My choices are plant them in various large containers or a really hot, dry spot with kind of iffy soil along the fence. If neither of those will work I'll probably give them away.

Thank you.

Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hollyhock in container?

My choice would be the hot, dry location with iffy soil :-)) Hollyhocks are pretty tough plants that seem to thrive with minimal attention - too lush growing conditions tend to make them more vulnerable to problems, like the spider mites and rust.

o

Hi Kate! I too would go with the hot/dry situation instead of the pot. Hollyhocks have long tap-roots that do not like to be disturbed. I have gotten a few to transplant though. Just make sure to water them for awhile after.
Even with the largest of pots I don't think they would like it much.
They will likely get yellowed leaves in the dry spot, so consider planting something in front of them.
Hope this helps.
CMK

o

Thank you both very much.

Well that's what I needed:) I suspect you are both correct, that the container thing would not work out well. GardenGal what you said was interesting about the spider mites especially. I noticed that one of my neighbors who has let his hollyhocks and CA poppies take over his side yard and does not water still has hollyhocks blooming and did not seem troubled by bugs at all.

I think next year my husband and I will build a simple, shallow wood planter and put it on the top of the ground with the iffy soil. That way it will have some amended soil in the planter itself but they can still grow down into the ground. CMK, good suggestion about keeping them watered until I see new growth. I hope to do this early in Spring of 2009. I've been thinking of planting California poppy seeds in with them. Not sure what else might make it in a dry space like that which would also look pretty. It could be an annual or perennial and would have to love being hot and miserable all summer:)

Appreciate the help, thanks again.

Kate

o

Out here in the high deserts of the Great Basin hollyhocks are a favorite because the grow so well in iffy soil along the fences.

o

Albert:

We aren't terribly far away from one another. I'm in Northern California specifically the town of Quincy, CA. We get more moisture than you folks though I suspect. Although this summer it rained exactly only for about five minutes.

I'll definitely go for planting in the iffy soil option. Thanks.

Kate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here