Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growitnow

Mass planting of Ipheion uniflorum: Does it have impact? (pic)

growitnow
13 years ago

Hi,

I want to do a mass planting of Ipheion, something like what is in the attached picture. I've never seen Ipheion in person and I don't want to go to all the trouble if the impact factor will be low.

The Ipheion in the picture is Rolf Fiedler and those are not available to me. I would be able to get "Wiserly Blue" in large quantity.

I want something that will naturalize and have nice impact factor while in bloom. Also, any guesses for how many bulbs I'd need to achieve something like in picture (not mine, but I've got about the same area to fill).

Is Ipheion "Wiserly Blue" and OK choice? Will I be pleased?

I'd appreciate any comments since I'm about to order!

Thanks,

growitnow

zone 7, Virginia

{{gwi:280894}}

Comments (14)

• spazzycat_1
    13 years ago

Will it have a big impact? Absolutely, but only in April. As soon as it turns warm, the foliage disappears, but sprouts anew the following fall. I really like this bulb and think it's underrated.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

Also, any guesses for how many bulbs I'd need to achieve something like in picture

==>>> depends on your budget and how long you are willing to wait ...

you could plant single bulbs about one foot apart.. and wait 5 years .... and spend little ...

of buy 5000 bulbs.. plant them 3 inches apart.. and be all set in about 2 years ...

so .... whats the budget??? .. and how much patience do you have ...

short story ... buy as many as you can afford.. and go to it ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: are they not available at this place/????

• growitnow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, thanks this is helpful.

Brent & Beckys bulbs are out of stock, I didn't really decide to do this until recently so vendors seems to be low on stock, and I'm not that familiar with where to buy bulbs.

I can afford to buy about 1000 bulbs, but the only kind I have found in stock is the Wiserly Blue. Poking around I get the sense that Rolf Fiedler is desirable but I don't know why.

On waiting - I would prefer not to wait 5 years. But having things looking 'pretty nice' the first year, then better and better subsequent years :)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

what about the link i provided..

try google ... otherwise

its real late to be planting bulbs in my z5 ... are you still within the window opportunity in z7 ....

ken

• ontnative
    13 years ago

Hi growitnow, just wanted to give you my opinion on the ipheion uniflorum. I have both Wisley Blue and Rolf Fiedler. I think Rolf is a somewhat deeper blue and WB more of a pastel blue. I like them, but wouldn't say that they are a "big impact flower". The colors are too pastel (sometimes translated as wishy-washy) and I find that the bloom time for me is quite short. If you want a blue groundcover, try chionodoxa or siberian squill. They increase faster than the ipheion as well. Ipheion uniflorum comes from South America and I think does very well in states like Texas, blooms longer there, too.

• tepelus
    13 years ago

Try this place. Link below.

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Van Engelen Flower Bulbs

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    13 years ago

I tried it once, but it didn't stick around. I think the last of them disappeared after four years. Whether that was climate, soil conditions, sun conditions, or what, I don't know.

• denninmi
    13 years ago

Siberian Squill is a wonderful plant for very early spring blooms. At least in my climate, it is rock solid dependable. I've got some that have been in the same spot, growing, blooming, and multiplying year by year, since 1971. My grandmother helped me to dig them from her yard and plant them in mine. She died in early 1972 of cancer, and I believe that this was probably the spring before that, 1971 -- I remember they were blooming in her yard when we dug them and moved them. I was very into plants at a young age, and would have been 5 at the time. Something lasting to remember her by, although I don't remember her all that well as I was pretty young.

• Donna
    13 years ago

I have grown both Wisley Blue and Rolf Fiedler. For a mass planting like this, you would be FAR happier to wait until you can get Rolf Fiedler. The Wisley Blue looks like skim milk: white with just a weak wash of blue. Rolf Fiedler is the vivid color of October skies. Honest. It would be worth waiting for. I agree that these bulbs are under used. I love the fact that once the show is over, they very quickly and neatly go dormant. You really never see any ratty foliage. They aren't prolific reproducers, but I would say they are steady. Keep in mind that they like some shade. Ken is right. Buy as many as you can afford. If you cannot buy hundreds, then plant a few close together in a "clump" and space the clumps evenly around the area. The clumps will be showy from the start and as time goes by, they will gradually grow together to make a mass.

• L_wolinski_gmail_com
    12 years ago

My yard had quite a few bulbs of 'Rolf Fiedler' sprinkled throughout when I bought it. They have multiplied dramatically over the years. People would stop and take photos of them when in bloom. I know it's spring when I see them pop up. I absolutely love them. We tore out our lawn two years ago and planted all drought tolerant plants. I was thrilled to see them show up again the following spring. Go for it!

• ageorgia1234
    12 years ago

I live in Hampton, GA and wanted to know if can plant this in my Bermuda lawn? Would it have time to bloom and then die back before yard needs to be scalped for Spring? Someone mentioned foliage in Fall, wouldn't want messy look. Would chemicals from my lawn service kill it?

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    12 years ago

My Ipheion (Wisley Blue) is blooming now. My DH is getting ready to strip the yard this week-end. I'd say it's probably not going to bloom and ripen early enough for you all before you need to do your spring lawn spruce up......Maryl

• Campanula UK Z8
    12 years ago

yep, ipheon will increase fairly quickly but it is always better to buy a named hybrid instead of plain old ipheon uniflorum. Wisley Blue is not as deep as Rolf Feidler and the flowers are a little smaller but it still has impact....but only in spring. In summer, the foliage will disappear completely only to reliably return in Autumn. There are two other good ones I am familiar with Charlotte Bishop, a clear and bright pink and Alfred Castillio,a really good white with the largest flowers of all. They all increase wqell and are trouble free bulbs. You need to plant about 100 per square metre.

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

I planted about a dozen Ipheion uniflorum about 20 years ago in my woodland garden. They have done really well, colonizing all over the place until there are now thousands of them throughout the woods, and put on quite a show in the spring, blooming with the daffodils and if the weather stays cool, last for weeks. I love them. They sort of "glow" in the garden at dusk, and have, to me, a kind of sweet, talcum powder smell. My daughter thinks they smell like freshcut pumpkin, but whatever, they are very fragrant. Maybe my favorite spring bulb.

Sandy

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz