Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miriam_gardener

planting russian sage

miriam_gardener
14 years ago

can you plant russian sage in late October?

Comments (17)

• coolplantsguy
    14 years ago

I'm not sure where you're gardening, but I wouldn't recommend it.

• john_4b
    14 years ago

I would not recommend it here in zone 4b, either. Best to wait till spring.

• MissMyGardens
    14 years ago

With all the rain we've had I haven't been able to plant anything for weeks including Perovskia. I have large one to put down at my sister's and 3 'Little Spire' to plant here.

Think I'm going to be heeling most perennials into the ground and wait for Spring at this point. It's worth it as I got 22 plants for $99.99 on clearance at a local nursery. They're all 1-2 gallon.

I know it wasn't a "Lowe's $2.50" kind of sale but our box stores don't have many down and dirty cheap plant sales.

Besides, I like to support this independent local nursery which has nice people and nice plants. I don't buy plants for full price yet they still welcome me. They're even going to grow some Asclepias curavassica from seed I saved for them. I convinced them they can sell them to the public around here that clamors for Monarchs. If they dress up the marketing correctly it could be profitable and get more people interested in perennial Asclepias incarnata and tuberosa as landscape options. They're one of the VERY few things deer, groundhogs and rabbits don't eat.

Miriam Gardener, if you haven't planted the Russian Sage yet you can "plant the pot" inground and cover it with leaves (if you're in cold region)then plant out in Spring.

Leslie

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

Where are you?

• miriam_gardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

someone left a pot of russian sage in my yard on Oct 30th; I thought I'd take a chance and plant it despite the late date. The plant came from a good local nursery. I live in the Chicago area--zone 5. Maybe I shouldn't have taken it out of the pot when I planted it????? Anyone have any suggestions for this poor little orphan?

• john_4b
    14 years ago

On the other hand, if it's already in the ground, nothing ventured nothing gained! Take a chance, it's worth a shot.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    14 years ago

In my experience (and that of many sad gardeners who have asked me about it) Perovskia, like other cut back shrubs--Caryopteris, Buddliea, etc.-- doesn't do well with fall planting or transplanting. Wait.

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

miriam, I hope your Russian Sage will be all right. If you really think about it, what is the advantage of "heeling them in the ground w/pot" or just planting them? They may get a little more protection in the pot but I'm not sure how, keep the roots from shock or insulated by the pot a little longer? Either way, they would usually freeze at some point in my zone.

I did throw some coreopsis in the ground in Nov when I was looking at the prospect of trying to store 5 one gallon pots in my sunroom over a winter, decided the heck with it and planted them, promptly had a freeze and tops froze off. At least three, maybe four, came back the following spring, still going strong 3 years later. But all plants don't react the same.

I did read that even though the tops freeze off, the roots can keep growing deeper into December or until it freezes that far down in the northerly zones.

Normally spring is best, of course. I just hope your RS makes it is all.

• miriam_gardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

aliska: I'm glad you didn't say "dig that thing up and put it back in the pot--which I still have--and re-plant it." I have another problem however. Even if the russian sage survives the winter, I had to put it in a spot that gets only 3 to 4 hrs. of sun, probably not enough for this sun-lover. I've never tried to grow russian sage because my garden is almost all shade or part shade (lots of trees). My one sort-of sunny area is only about 4' by 6' . What are the chances that this plant will, if its survives, thrive?

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

miriam, no I wouldn't do that although if there was a good soil ball (you know how packed they get), you could plop it back in the pot and back in the ground easily enough if somebody thinks that might really be better.

RS is on my wishlist for next spring. All my sunny spots are pretty premium, too, think I'll put one in my fire hydrant grouping lol.

You could either watch to see if it blooms where you put it or move it earlier in the fall next year or some cooler, cloudy summer day to your sunnier spot; I'd rather not plant/transplant too much when it's really hot although lilies, iris and other plants will take it, always try to do it on an overcast day.

Scroll about 1/3 way down to see garry's photo. Either it looks like that when first opening or that's the way the variety is. Further down he explains to me about two different kinds. I thought it looked really cool in his photo. All the ones I've seen blooming around here have been driving by so I didn't get a close look, seemed more "feathery" to me. I think garry's is cool.

Here is a link that might be useful: garry's photo Russian Sage

• miriam_gardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

aliska: I looked at the photos, some of purple loosestrife, which is really a much maligned plant. Russian sage, at least in the Chicago area, is a beautiful. cloudy, misty, lavender plant. I've never tried to grow it because I've seen how gorgeous it looks in a full sun. If you have enough sun, I think you'll love to plant it next spring--put it in your fire hydrant grouping, ha ha. miriam

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

aliska: I looked at the photos, some of purple loosestrife, which is really a much maligned plant.

It is that. Think my photo of P-LS is on that thread, was thinking when I took it up the river how pretty it was and that I'd like to grow some. Not sure but what I had some volunteers by the alley and it died away. But because it's considered invasive, is banned in some states, I concede to be "EC" (environmentally correct) and won't grow it, enough else to choose from.

If you have enough sun, I think you'll love to plant it next spring--put it in your fire hydrant grouping, ha ha. miriam

Yeah, I have some lilies there, pretty red freebie w/an order, not the ditch lilies some put by theirs) added a spring-blooming daisy (not oxe-eye - another invasive here alTHOUGH one clump in the back, I spotted some in that, freecycle trade, so I will have to be vigilant and yank any oxe-eyes that come up out).

Anyway, I have a spot saved, you gave me the idea, thank you muchly, and that will be perfect. That whole front near the street and either side of the sidewalk is absolute, full sun, only place in my whole yard. We're really not supposed to plant there, but lots do. It probably tolerates dryness, too, and should really hide that hydrant although they might mess it up, my gamble, they being the city & fire dept, already splattered yellow paint on my daisy and lilies. And I didn't plant the common orange ones but a pretty freebie I got with an order. Dogs do their thing there, too :-(.

The narrower side boulevard is full sun, too, but the street gets salted so I don't think it would be wise to try much along there.

• miriam_gardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If any plant can stand abuse, I'd say it was russian sage--dogs, squirrels, firemen, unruly kids, etc. can't do much damage. Salt, on the other hand, might be a killer. miriam

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

miriam, was AWOL for a few days. Yeah, the salt. Front street is never salted, and I only salt my steps in front and two to front walk, have to. Mine hasn't seemed to harm anything yet. The hydrant is on the corner near a street that is salted, a snow route.

Well, I'm used to losing things and disappointments. Bluestone it comes in lots of 3, so I'd have a couple extra for insurance. BS has two kinds.

I'm wondering what else I could put there, have some throwaway yellow iris that would bloom when daisies do, then do nothing. Lilies only bloom in July. Want something blue or purplish. The Pereskovia would probably have a long bloom period. Yes, and tolerates drought.

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

Catmint, got clumps in back going with seed, gets ratty but there are other kinds. Was looking at Bluestone catalog, have some iryngium seeds, not real keen on that now. Thought I saw a nice blue something, can't find it now.

Such fussing over a stupid fire hydrant where I put those darn lilies I didn't even want. They turned out pretty.

I think the thing to do is move something out of the back, try the pereskovia, and yank out whatever doesn't work.

T&M has this gorgeous annual dark red cosmos on their cover, just have to get some seeds for that, like I need more seeds. I'm not good at designing, but if I had any sense, I've got coreopsis self-seeded all over the place, blooms almost continuously, so you forced my hand here. Pereskovia (shorter one) and coreopsis, see what happens, may transplant a clump of the latter in a spot it shouldn't be tomorrow, what the heck.

Thanks!

• weasel1234
    13 years ago

Hello - I have a large yard, live in Northern New Mexico and want Russian Sage in my garden. When is the best time to plant this great shrub! Any info you can give me will be appreciated. I plan to buy either full grown plants or partially full grown. Should I try to grow some cuttings in door in the winter? Help - thanks!