Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

plant delights nursery - potted amaryllids experiences

hairmetal4ever
10 years ago

I've been looking at Plant Delights Nursery's website. They sell a large variety of potted Amaryllids, like Crinums & Lycoris - which appeals to me since the dried out, bare rooted ones you buy in bags take forever to establish, if they do at all.

However, ALL of their potted bulbs are advertised as being in 3.5" pots - that seems VERY small for a large-bulbed plant like a Lycoris...can anyone who has purchased from them tell me what they got? I'd imagine that being EXTREMELY potbound.

Comments (7)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

I haven't purchased Amaryllids from him, but anything I've bought has been well grown and well handled. I can't imagine you being sent stressed product/plants of any kind, I think you can be confident you will receive bulbs grown in appropriate space.

Understand that offerings from unusual plant nurseries are often small, young and not necessarily as mature as you would find in a local walk-in nursery.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I think you could get a lot more bang for your buck trading for bulbs, or doing for-postage. I found L. aureum bulbs for postage this spring, about 50 for about $10. Since you are asking in perennial forum, I'm assuming they'd go in the ground anyway, so I see no reason to get potted bulbs of any hardy type at this time of year. What kind of Lycoris are you interested in? L. radiata start blooming at a fairly small size, (and just finished doing so around here,) but can get as big as an egg. Other types are bigger, bloom at other times.

Bulbs can discard/renew roots as needed, I wouldn't worry about them being crammed in a pot, unless you are trying to keep these in pots?

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The reason is that Amaryllids in particular take much longer to establish from dried bulbs than if roots can be kept alive.

Fresh dug would be another area of interest to me, for that type of bulb.

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    10 years ago

Hi, there is an ebay seller called bulbsnmore who specializes in crinum but has a few other bulbs as well, 100% rating, free shipping, located in northeast Florida. I have never bought from this seller but have read very positive comments in the gw bulbs forum. I searched and see a post from you there so maybe you already know?

You mention wanting âÂÂfresh dug.â This seller notes: âÂÂBulbs will be freshly dug and heavy, and will be shipped bare root.â Though might refer to warmer months? You might wish to inquire if you have any interest. Link below loads a little slowly but is worth it for me. My old fashioned inherited crinum with its delightful fragrance is a great favorite of mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay store of bulbsnmore

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, crinums are marginal here anyway - and we still have snow on the ground. I'd probably err towards not planting anything until late April or May at least, esp. Florida-grown stock which isn't likely hardened off to any major frosts (granted, NE Fl gets some hard freezes from time to time).

I'll check it out though, thanks!

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

It varies with them. I am within easy driving distance of Plant Delights, they are one of my fav perennial sources b/c of the uniqueness of plants that you find there and their quality is superb. Last year I got a Amarcrinum from them in a 3.5 inch pot. It was defin ready to come out of that pot, but not unhealthy by any stretch. I prefer for them to be this way, so that I don't have to pay a 2 gal price for a 1 gal plant (so to speak). Rather it be ready to come out when I get it, but still healthy.

I also got two different lycoris from them last year. Those had plenty of room still when I got them in the spring. It's not unusual to see both ways there with their 3.5 inch pots. Some are bursting their pots (but still very healthy plants) and others have some room to grow still. Either way, I've never had any complaint with anything from them. Just my experience.

This post was edited by funnthsun on Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 8:47

• hairmetal4ever
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Being a bit "rootbound" is far less of an issue with an herbaceous (including bulbous) plant than something like a tree, where the roots are woody and more permanent.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022