Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryseryse_2004

Growing asparagus in with perennials

ryseryse_2004
10 years ago

Has anyone done this? We have plenty of asparagus for eating and I really like the way it looks when it grows out. So, I was thinking I would start some from seed and put them in various places in my perennial beds for a little ferny interest.

Has anyone tried this before? I realize it takes years for an asparagus seedling to grow large enough to eat but I don't want them for that anyway.

Comments (11)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i have a few bird sown plants over the 5 acres ...

never remember to harvest.. until the thing is 2 feet tall... lol ...

its your garden.. you plant.. whatever your little heart desires.. wherever you little heart desires.. and dam those who think otherwise ...

its not easy using your garden friends to stop flowing water ...

ken

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

I don't grow asparagus, but I would think it would be very attractive. Actually, I've been wondering the same thing about rhubarb - if it would be decorative enough for the garden?

Kevin

• david883
    10 years ago

Kevin - I planted a rhubarb plant this year. Its leaves are very nice looking and slightly ruffled and the stems have a nice yellow/pink/red hue to them. It would probably look fine in an ornamental garden setting. Both of my grandmas grew rhubarb for pies and things but they grew them in with their other perennials
    As for the asparagus I think it would look great in a perennial setting. I have ornamental fennel seeds I'm going to try next year for the same affect. You could try that, too

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

As a kid I always loved the ornamental aspect of my grandfather's asparagus patch. It's such a large plant, though, so it would have to be a good-sized bed.

Here are a couple of shots of my rhubarb which is in a bed of mixed perennials and shrubs and also has my horseradish. I put it there when we first moved since it was far enough away from the house to not be disturbed by the work that house needed and also not take up lead from the soil around the house from old paint. I've left it there because I like the contrast it provides to the other foliage nearby. I usually let it bloom for a bit, since the foamy blossoms are pretty spectacular. After blooming, I cut back the bloom stalks, and I also harvest for cooking. I never take so many that it's visible that leaves are missing. {{gwi:226218}}From June 2010

• ryseryse_2004
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That looks amazing! Do you grow rhubarb from seed?

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

Those photos are amazing - and beautiful! You've convinced me.

It's been a long time since I've seen rhubarb flowers and you're right. They are spectacular.

I love cooking with rhubarb. IMO there is absolutely nothing like rhubarb pie. Nothing! It's my favorite, but I simply refuse to buy rhubarb at the store because it's so expensive and I didn't grow it because I really don't have any out of the way place to plant it. Now I know it can be a part of the regular flower garden and it will - next spring.

Kevin

• ryseryse_2004
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK - rhubarb pie? Is it made with strawberries or just rhubarb? I have never tasted anything made with rhubarb that was made with JUST rhubarb. In fact, that is why I have never grown it --- if it is good by itself, I might grow some in my perennial gardens to eat!

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    10 years ago

Hmmm... great minds think alike, and all that :-) I am planning to plant rhubarb in the front bed next spring! The only drawback I can see is that it can get unattractive in late summer/early fall as it starts to go dormant. But I love all things rhubarb so it'll be worth it! Currently a neighbour supplies us with rhubarb in spring and Swiss chard in late summer and fall in exchange for the home-made dog cookies we provide for his big (140lb!), beautiful Rottweiller. My favorite rhubarb pie recipe:

Aunt Marge's Rhubarb Pie

Make a single crust pie shell. Fill with sliced rhubarb. (You can microwave the rhubarb for 3-4 minutes first to start it cooking.)

Sauce:
    Beat the following together:
    2 egg yolks (reserve whites for meringue)
    1ü - 1ý cups light brown sugar
    4 Tblsp. flour
    2-3 Tblsp. milk
    1 tsp. vanilla

Pour sauce over cut rhubarb in pie shell. Bake in 350F oven for 45 minutes or until rhubarb fully cooked. While the pie is still hot, make meringue and return pie to oven until meringue is golden.

You can mix strawberries with the rhubarb. Some people also like to add raisins to the rhubarb.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

I think I prefer straight, rhubarb pie - no berries, but I have had some good strawberry/rhubarb pie. Here's my mom's as long as we're sharing recipes:

Mom's Pie

Crust for both top and bottom:

Filling:
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    2 cups diced rhubarb
    2 Tbsp flour
    2 Tbsp melted butter

Cream together eggs and sugar until light and fluffy
    Add everything else

Pour into bottom crust and cover with the top crust
    Bake at 350 F until custard is set - about 45 minutes.
    Cool and eat 1/2 the pie before dinner and the other 1/2 later that night. Pure bliss.......

Kevin

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

My rhubarb is a division from our former neighbor and landlord at a previous home. It is far less tart and so needs much less sugar than many types, but I don't know what variety it is. I usually make strawberry rhubarb pie or sometimes crisp which is the same as the pie, but without a bottom crust and in a larger dish.

I haven't found that the leaves look unattractive until they die in the fall when it gets below freezing, at which point they go into the compost heap along with a bunch of other stuff.

Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie
    In a small bowl mix:
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup flour
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    (depending on the size of the pie, this will not all be used.)

In the bottom of a 9â deep dish pie crust sprinkle:
    1/2 Tbsp uncooked tapioca
    Layer in alternating layers:
    sliced rhubarb
    strawberry slices

Every two layers lightly sprinkle fruit with the cinnamon-sugar-flour mixture.
    Repeat until pie is about full.

Topping:
    In another dish mix:
    1/4 cup each butter and safflower oil
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup flour
    1 cup quick cook (not instant) oatmeal
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    a teaspoon or so of water
    This will cover two pies when spread thinly over the top.

• Freda
    10 years ago

We grow rhubarb in our backyard and one of the best recipes that I enjoy is rhubarb cobbler made from rhubarb picked fresh from the garden. It is soooo good. I'm going to check out the recipes posted for rhubarb pie as well since my DH loves rhubarb.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!