Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jujujojo_gw

rhs chelsea flower show, uk, 2014

jujujojo_gw
9 years ago

ok, the pictures are removed, although 10 of them are mine, but since there is contention ...

This post was edited by jujujojo on Wed, Nov 26, 14 at 11:22

Comments (18)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

The Chelsea Flower Show would be a dream vacation for me! Thanks for the beautiful photos jujujojo.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Yes, they are great photos and so they should be. I haven't checked them all but at least three are copied from Getty images.

Here is a link that might be useful: Auricula man

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Thanks JJs.

My old Mum loved the Chelsea Flower Show.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

â¢Posted by floral_uk 8/9 SW UK (My Page) on Tue, Nov 25, 14 at 16:35

Because my own pictures do not look that good. Perhaps, you should have taken some pics and post here ;-)

This post was edited by jujujojo on Wed, Nov 26, 14 at 11:22

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

removed as well ...

This post was edited by jujujojo on Wed, Nov 26, 14 at 11:23

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

jujujojo - if you are paying the appropriate fees to Getty images and abiding by their terms and conditions forget what follows.

You do not acknowledge in your posts that these are not your own photographs. If you read the terms of the Getty Images website you will see that uploading their material is illegal. "Use of the Site
    The Site and the Getty Images Content are intended for customers of Getty Images. You may not use the Site or the Getty Images Content for any purpose not related to your business with Getty Images. You are specifically prohibited from: (a) downloading, copying or re-transmitting any or all of the Site or the Getty Images Content without, or in violation of, a written licence or agreement with Getty Images;'...."

I hold no brief for GI but it is disingenuous and rather underhand to put images here with no acknowledgement that they are not your own work. As for Chelsea, I haven't been for years. It is just an overcrowded press bonanza and all those people taking away huge, forced, out of season plants at the end of the show are clearly lacking in gardening knowledge and are wasting their time. BTW the picture of Betty would have been taken on her private visit before the show opens to the public so no way could you or I have taken it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Getty Images terms

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

â¢Posted by floral_uk 8/9 SW UK (My Page) on Wed, Nov 26, 14 at 5:06

Can you identify which pictures exactly are the same as Getty images? I will remove them since you stated above.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

No, jujujojo, I am not going to spend time checking all your images for you. I linked to one in my first post. I suggest, since you uploaded them, you should know which ones are not your own. Even if they are not all Getty images you are using copyright material from other photographers without permission or acknowledgement. I'm not quite sure what the purpose of such posts is.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

I enjoy jujujojo's post, but I have to support floral_uk here.
    I sometimes deep-link or deep-mirror a single picture for what I consider fair-use editorial purposes. (like the picture of the mis-landscaped mcmansion recently) However, it's clear in those cases I did not take the picture and that they are not the main reason for the thread. At the very least, in a case like this where multiple pictures ARE the point of the thread and therefore there is implied authorship, Juju should state in the thread "pictures sourced from Getty" or wherever they were sourced.

Floral_UK...am I to assume you are a republican? (in the British sense of the word)

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

Why not just leave your pictures and remove the ones that are in violation of copyright? Oh well.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

â¢Posted by davidrt28 7 (My Page) on Wed, Nov 26, 14 at 11:25

I got them mixed up a while ago and I lost track myself :-)

I was trying to promote the show, and expressing how much I love the British Queen and her society; but I guess floral did not like the show in the first place. And I assume that would be the mainstream reaction from England and possibly Scotland, etc. So the best solution is to remove them. Next time, I will make sure not to mix up all pictures in one folder :-)

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

I was just wondering where the photos had gone...I was really enjoying them all...not bothered how they arrived here... but especially that one of the lady in the flowered dress... how ostentatious was that..?.. very suited to the occasion....
    ..I've never been to the flower show at Chelsea, but always interested to see what they introduce each year.... especially Austin roses....
    ...on a positive note...it's a fabulous occasion for those who enjoy going to shows I think.... I love all the celebrity...colour and panache... we don't have to indulge if we don't want.... for me it's a great British, and International, occasion like so many others we have during the year...

This post was edited by Marlorena on Wed, Nov 26, 14 at 12:38

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Thanks again, JJs.
    I do appreciate the effort and organization you put into your entertaining/informative posts.

For some people, at least the words "disingenuous and rather underhanded" sounded judgemental and rather mean spirited.

On the other hand, I do understand the point, as per davidrt28. For instance, I'm quite amazed how things have changed with regard to using copywritted material since my days around higher education.

Looking forward to your next post, JJs.

(P.S. I'm never quite sure how to abbreviate your user name. The last thing I mean to do is insult you!

In my case, SB's fine since it's clearly distinguished from SOB).

Charlie

• gardenprincethenetherlandsZ7/8
    9 years ago

I think the Chelsea Flower Show has little to do with gardening and more with showing off. I watch the BBC shows about Chelsea and each year I get more dissatisfied. Artificial and at times pretentious.

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

Chelsea - a loathesome, pointless, decadent media bonanza of shopping excess. It represents the utter disdain for skill and crafts in favour of 'art' with the elevation of 'designers' above growers and nursery people, topped with a smattering of talentless mediocrity in the form of publicity seeking celebrities. An ecological disaster, it reached its nadir a few years ago with the tasteless 'Diamond Life' garden, complete with real diamonds and security guards. I would sooner remove my own tonsils with rusty secateurs than be forced to endure an afternoon of Chelsea.

I am a staunch republican (in very definitely the English sense of the word) - i would probably be classed as a raving pinko commie in the US

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

Personally I'm a small-L libertarian and to each their taste.

Of course, I'd never put Campanula in the position of having to use rusty secateurs to remove his own tonsils.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

I really didn't wish to get into any kind of argument with anyone. I was only pointing out that the terms of use of Garden Web were being infringed ...." the Terms of Service and applicable copyright, trademark and other laws govern your use of such content. You may not post to the GardenWeb Network, copy, reproduce, retransmit, distribute, publish, commercially exploit or otherwise transfer any material subject to any Rights." The OP was posting photos which people clearly assumed were her own when they were not. In fact if Getty images spotted it there could be unpleasant repercussions. They trawl the web constantly for material they own and threaten people who use it without permission with legal action. It has happened to an acquaintance of mine who innocently used an image found via a Google image search. I don't believe that it is mean spirited to point that out.

As for Chelsea, I agree with every word Campanula wrote.

• sunnyborders
    9 years ago

If this were an argument it would be about how one deals with other contributors to GW.

The mean-spirited part was not pointing out facts, it was the part of the summarization which included "but it is disingenuous and rather underhanded to put these posts here ---".

If I saw any evidence that the set of pictures was actually intended to deceive, I would likely have agreed.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?