Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garden_crazy_gw

Can peonies, lilacs and hydrangea bushes make it in TX?

Garden-Crazy
9 years ago

I live in central Texas. I grew up in the mid west and Mom always had peonies, hydrangea, and lilacs . I want to plant them. I'm just not sure if they'll survive a Texas summer. Any advice on planting peony and hydrangea bushes and lilac bushes in Texas and when would be the best time of year to do this?

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

welcome to GW ...

i am pretty sure.. there is a TX garden forum ...

and you should probably post here and there ... you never know where you will find the expert with experience ...

the thing that limits you .. will be if there is sufficient CHILL HOURS ... for the plants you are wondering about ... many things need a dormancy.. and the further south you go... the lesser the length of cold.. and that is where you run into problems ...

i did peony for you at the link ... a very cursory review seems to indicate they do better.. the colder the zone ....

of course.. finding a local peep who has hands on experience.. is the easy way ... and i know.. learning sometimes hurts... lol ...

you might also contact your COUNTY extension office for info like this ...

good luck .. and have fun with your two seasons... lol... compared to 4 in the midwest ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

As Ken suggests, it's possible you're setting yourself up for failure: peonies are hardy to zone 7, hydrangea to zone 8 and lilac to zone 6 according to the Missouri Botanical Garden website. Hydrangea likely poses the biggest challenge: hydra means water and hydrangeas need consistent water to thrive.

Peonies want soil that leans toward neutral pH. That said, I have both peonies and lilac growing near each other in my slightly acidic soil. For years I spread wood ashes on my established peonies every winter but since I quit heating with wood I no longer do it. Hasn't had any noticeable effect on the peonies.

The lilac in my garden was planted 40+ years ago by my parents so it's old and established. Before purchasing & planting one, I suggest you check with one of your local nurseries. Chances are the folks there can answer direct questions.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I have lived in Austin are for 25 years and I have the lust to plant my grandmothers plants of Pennsylvania. I have had to let go of it since I am on a very limey hill with alimmited water supply. I have heard a rumor of one mythical peony in Dallas area. I have never ever seen one in austin nor have I seen a lilac that was over a year in the ground. I think people stopped trying and stores have FINALLY stopped teasing us with the stray peony, lilac, forsythias and pussywillow. I have seen Hydrangias back years ago when I first moved here and water was not rationed (aahh the good ol days). Mostly in East Austin. They have dirt in East austin that is a bit more neutral. I do recommend the oak leaf Hydrangea. It does need supplemental water but not as much and it is more tolerant of our PH and heat but it still likes it in the blackland prairie areas and in town where dirt is richer, and not the limestone hills. I see people having more success with hydrangeas in containers than in the ground. If you have a deep brought in rich soil area that is irrigated , the oak leaf hydrangea in a shady area might work. I would go to the Texas forum. They do not bite over there. I think they might have even brought up what hydrangeas worked in the Austin area recently.

oops, look what I found. I guess you have company

Here is a link that might be useful: Who is growing Hydrangeas in the Austin Area

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

OOPs here is another One I fished up with using the search function. I have a vague memory of growing a lace cap Hydrangea. and remembered I watered it A LOT and it still did not make it through August very well. I was underwhelmed, but I am lazy about watering.The article is from more general area of Texas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangeas in Texas

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

Its a bad sign that in Texas Vitex agnus-castus is called 'Texas Lilac'. The sort of sends up a few red flags...

Here is an old thread about peony's.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/peony/msg0315295822899.html?5

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

keep in mind.. zone info.. is basically .. the lowest cold temp ...

that does not really address how long its cold.. as when i spoke of cold dormancy ...

one trick... come spring .... drive around.. and see if you see lilacs around ... if you do.. one might suspect.. they will work ...

on GW ... you can come back to your own post ... to thk peeps ... no need for private email ... but you are welcome ...

you might also join a local garden club ... not only to learn what can and cant be grown ... but you might get a lot of free plants .... from new garden friends ....

ken