Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dianthus 'Wicked Witch'

Posted by coolplantsguy z6 Ontario (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 24, 10 at 15:47

Has anyone tried this one? It is relatively new (I believe it came out 2-3 years ago), and is being described as a red-flowered version of the popular 'Firewitch' (it was developed as a "sport" of this plant).

Another similar plant, but even newer, is called 'Red Beauty'.

I am hoping to try both this coming spring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dianthus 'Wicked Witch'

I wouldn't call it a true red, it's kind of the same color as Knock Out Rose. Other than that, it has all of the great qualities of 'Firewitch'.

The Plant Geek
www.confessionsofaplantgeek.blogspot.com

o

If you want a really dark red, go for 'Heart Attack.' I've had it for two years so far and its stunning.

o

Knew I had pics somewhere! Here's the 'Heart Attack' Dianthus.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

zaphod42

Is 'Heart Attack' a cultivar of Dianthus barbatus (Sweet William)?

o

Yes - they are part of the Sweet William group. I didn't notice until after I posted that it was the wrong direction.

Still, a great looking plant that I highly recommend and a true perennial (unlike many Sweet Williams).

o

I am having a hard time obtaining "Heart Attack" at a brick and mortar nursery in Ontario Canada.

o

I am having a hard time obtaining "Heart Attack" at a brick and mortar nursery in Ontario Canada.

o

'Fire Star' is a lovely true, vivid red without any pink.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here