Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aloha10

verbena bonariensis zone 6

aloha10
11 years ago

I found this flower to be a winner for me this past summer. Has anyone experienced success growing it as a perennial in zone 6?

Thanks

Comments (9)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    11 years ago

Last year nearly all of them over wintered for me, the year before (much colder) some of the larger plants survived. They were not cut back until spring, no special mulch other than maybe a few leaves that blew into the bed.

I would put myself more in a zone 6. I've tried to change my GW zone listing a couple times but my account is fighting me.

• mistascott
    11 years ago

It will come down to the specific microclimate in which it is planted and the severity of the particular winter. It is not reliably hardy in Zone 6 unless grown in a protected microclimate. It does self-sow prolifically though, so you may get it to survive that way. Drainage is often a bigger problem than temperature for verbena species.

• terrene
    11 years ago

I'm in borderline 5/6 and it overwinters for me about half the time, especially during the winters that don't get much colder than 0 F (approx a zone 7 winter).

During winters that go well below zero, the plants tend to perish, but it reseeds around so much that I haven't had to start it from seed again since the original plants were planted some 6 years ago.

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

I think most of mine come back. It's hard to tell because the seedlings grow fast and catch up with the ones that survive the winter. I did keep track one year and the ones that returned started blooming about two weeks sooner than the others.
    The seedlings come up very thickly but I've never thinned them out. I just leave them alone and let the strong survive. They do very well and are close enough together to keep the weeds out.

• aloha10
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your very helpful responses. I now have a better idea on how to plan for this particular verbena area and another plot I have next to a nicely protected cedar fence with a west exposure.
    As I approach my mid-eighties, it seems incongrous that I am now developing an interest in perennials. Should have started a few years ago, I guess.
    Good Gardening to All.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    11 years ago

You could always put in a few tree seedlings, that will make your perennial planting look quite sensible. Oaks are majestic trees and acorns are practically free. ;)

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Much loved by butterflies. But so rampant it can be a nuisance.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Kato, have you tried changing the zone when making a post instead of trying to do it in your profile?

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County