Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Hey Ken

mxk3 z5b_MI
10 years ago

Do the blue-needled spruce change colors a bit to be more light green in the cold weather? I have two dwarf Colorado blues that are looking that way now, were just planted about 6 weeks ago, wondering if something is up with them or they get that way this time of year - ?

Comments (5)

• rusty_blackhaw
    10 years ago

I'm pretty sure you can send Ken a personal message by clicking on his member page link.

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

or catch him on the conifer forum!
    Jan

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

pshaw ... its a garden question.. not a personal request.. and its not like the forums are so overwhelming active.. that we dont need some conversation.. anything....

the blue on conifers.. all of them.. not pungens specifically ...

is a glacous ... read that waxy .... coating ....

it wears off in about 3 years ... so you can note.. that interior needles do in fact.. become greener every year ....

but that should not be seen on this past springs growth .... though it is obviously not as blue as they were at budding out ...

the wax.. in fact.. reflects the blue sky .....

God's honest answer ... in MI.. in winter.. 90% of our days are not blue sky ... its enough to kill ones self over.. lol ...

dark grey clouds.. make dark grey pungens .... and also allows you to see some of the green underneath .....

so all your blue plants will look dull ... but find one sunny day.. and go out there.. and you might be surprised how much better they look.. compared to a dull day ...

but do watch out for snow blindness ...

the wax is also worn off due to extreme heat .... overhead watering.. etc ... and you can not speak to how these were handled prior to your owning them ....

give them a year or two ... before you start to really hate them ....

the glory of blue pungens.. is the 2 to 6 weeks in spring... at budding out .. not 12/1 ... be patient ....

ken

ps: you perennial peeps need more conifers in your perennial beds.. so you have something to 'look' at in the dead of winter .. and 'talk' about during winter ... are any of you going to have blue flowers between now and 4/1 to talk about.. mk will have a blue plant out her window ... if for nothing else.. to complain about.. lol .... see!!! ... see!!! .. it is a perennial garden question ... lol ... can you spot the perennials in this pic???? [and i will be looking at this all winter long.. on dark.. dank grey.. suicide-inducing MI winter days .... lol]

pps: note the concolor canidicans at the top left... not how it gets greener.. towards the interior.. each shade is one more year older.. until they fall off ....

{{gwi:211254}}

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, I won't hate them - I've wanted one for a long time, now I have two! I got them on super-duper clearance (but I didn't have to walk them home from the nursery like that tree LOL!).

I put one right in front of the big picture window in the living room and the other one on the diagonal not to far away from it, close to the laceleaf Japanese maple.

I wouldn't say 90% of our days are not blue skies - maybe 90% of our winter days, but spring through fall Michigan is glorious! Even winter can be enjoyed in its serenity. But gardening is all about winter interest up here - the bright red berries on my winterberry hollies, what a pretty sight against the white snow the other day, or the sun lighting up ice-covered branches the morning after an ice storm - wow!

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, and thanks for the info - didn't realize they would be a different color. They're still attractive, just not as blue as when I bought them.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?