Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can You divide Clematis?

Posted by donnabaskets 7b-8 MS (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 14, 09 at 17:26

I have a Rugoochi (clueless on spelling this one). It is nearly indestructible it seems. I accidentally cut it back at the ground once while moving its rose partner and it came back better than ever. Can it be divided? I have another place I could use it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can You divide Clematis?

I'm not very experienced, but I would suggest the quick answer is yes. I tried to dig up one once to remove it permanently, but a new plant came up again the next spring!

o

A couple of clematis (both vining and non-vining)split off into different pieces when I dug them up to move the plant. All parts have gone on to grow and bloom well. I have read/heard that a clematis will sometimes reappear from roots left in the ground when the plant itself was moved.

o

I'd ask on the clematis forum, but I think that in general clematis don't divide the way most perennials will. You can get new ones, however, by rooting a stem of your current plant. Peg down and lightly cover with soil a stem of your existing plant at a leaf node (where the leaves attach to a stem.) Wait at least a year for roots to develop. Clip free and move when a healthy root system has developed.

o

In any of the books that I have on clematis, dividing is only talked about on the heracleifolias and integrifolias (of which Roguchi is a hybrid). How a hybrid of integrifolia is going to respond to traditional digging and dividing is up for grabs.

That being said, sometimes any type of clematis may get larger and have limbs lay on the ground and root as described by nhbabs. That would be the most advantageous means of propogating any clematis if that is your goal. Then again, if you subscribe to the idea of "nothing ventured, nothing gained", you could give traditional digging and dividing a chance and see what happens.

o

Well, at least now I know it wasn't a dumb question! :)
I will check over at the perennial forum for back up info, and if they don't agree, will give the layering a try. My garden centers don't carry clematis regularly at all, so I really don't want to risk losing it. Thanks all, for responding. I am encouraged that I can at least end up with two.

o
Mea culpa, mea culpa...........

This is such a great example of the need to stay humble in the great world of gardening( and learning in general.) I looked at this thread title and thought "Can you divide clematis?What a stupid question;of course not!" But then, I read the responses.HA! What do I know??! As My Love says, "Vote for me 'cuz I'm always right and I never lie"!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for asking the 'stupid' question,and for answering it and helping educate me in the meantime!
best,
Mindy the Humble

o

I not only ask stupid questions, I do stupid things with my plants. I have divided plants that you can NOT divide, sometimes ending up with two plants and sometimes with no plants. Experimenting with plants is one of my passions, and with any experiments the success rate is not high but the enjoyment is. Al

o

the ONLY stupid question.. is the UN-asked question ...

some of the most brilliant discoveries started with a stupid proposition or question ...

ken

o

I direct any interested persons to the Clematis forum for gardengal's answer. (As always, great.) Link below.
Thanks, mindy, for the fun honesty, and to all for your support....
My daddy always said the only cure for stupidity is to ask questions. That advice has stood by me well for a long, long time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Can You Divide Clematis?

o

Sorry that you felt that our responses were not confident and conflicting as stated in your posting on the clematis forum Donna. As one who has over 125 clematis in my garden and has grown them from seed, I am very confident in my knowledge on clematis. I also know several people who have attempted to divide clematis the traditional way and the results have been mixed at best--some have had success, some have had their clematis sulk for several years after such a division, and others have had their clematis die outright. The suggestion of attempting to layer your plant since you were ambivalent about losing it and the fact that clematis were not readily available was the best suggestion in my mind for you.

o

If one wasn't familiar with or didn't grow a lot of different clematis, I could see how the responses Donna received here would leave her a little at sea. There were several "I think you can but not sure" types as well as a couple of recommendations for layering, which, while entirely valid, didn't exactly address the question of division. And she was directed to the Clematis forum......:-) If it had been something other than 'Roguchi' which is essentially a herbaceous form, my advice would have leaned much more strongly towards layering rather than division.

Miguel, I for one would not question your experience with clems and you were quite distinct in your advice that division could be attempted but with likely mixed success, however perhaps your advice might have had more impact if had orginated at the Clematis forum???? And btw, your presence is missed there......why are you not posting there these days?

o

I truly apologize for offending you, nckville! I have ONE, count it, ONE clematis, so my knowledge is virtually nil. I simply had no way to know who had what expertise, and if you look back through this thread you'll see that the answers were all over the map. As a rule, I look for consensus in answers to questions in order to be confident. If there is none, it's very difficult to know who to believe. I am sorry, though, for my ill considered words. They were probably not wise.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here