Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattyw5

A few particularly nice perennials

Generally speaking if it doesn't die from my gardening it's a good plant. Their have been some stand outs in the garden.
Euphorbia Bonfire has been spectacular. Hope I'm not jinxing the plant. Surviving two winters here in northern Illinois in spot that I thought might be too moist. It's not been bothered by any insect and has a controlled growth habit. This is her today:

Comments (11)

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

I picked up several Euphorbia 'Bonfire' plants a few years back. The purple in mine isn't as predominant or dark as yours but as you say, they're trouble/pest/worry/care-free, reliably hardy perennials. My original Euphorbia polychroma is over 30 years old--bought it when my kids were in elementary school; they're both 40+. Dug it up and planted it here when I moved back in 2005.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Veronica Tidal Pool
    Yes the color is as pictured for me but it only keeps this color for a very short time. However the bloom time is reasonable. It's the plant that I like the best. The growth is very tight and nothing seems to bother it. Spreads yet really easy to pull up to keep in bounds. Never looks ratty. Use it in front of rose bushes for spring color and nice green carpet. Stays green all winter. Could only find one picture of it. Not a good one but all I have for now.

Original Author
    9 years ago

There was a shadow casting on the plant when I snapped that picture. While not that dark it does turn a nice rich reddish purple in cold weather. Your right it's a nice, pretty and reliable plant.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Aralia Sun King
    Held my breath getting this one. Never did get good hardiness information. Made it thru last winters madness. Pretty and delicate in appearance. It's is loved by slugs so will have to keep an eye on her next year. Not a pretty picture if she runs out of water. Late in the day picture can't see the yellow in it.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Veronica Romiley Purple
    I'm sorry I have no picture of this plant. Some of it's foliage is still out there growing but think I removed all of the top growth will check tomorrow. Lots of you know royal candles and that one is great but here at least around some time in July is besieged by insects that really batter the foliage. Between slugs, whiteflies and who knows what else=ratty.I even found rose slugs on them this year. Still nice from a little distance but up close it bothers me. Once again don't want to jinx my plant but the insects don't bother this one. Spires are a deep purple plant is gorgeous and flowers most of the season. Plants are taller than Royal Candles but still compact. Love it!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

Euphorbia 'Bonfire' is an excellent colorful plant best suited to lean soils, as otherwise it'll splay apart and sometimes the stems breaking off at the crown.

Pattyw5, I believe that aralia 'Sun King' is very hardy, as there's several large established green leafed aralias at my nearby botanical gardens that laugh off the worst of what my sometimes brutal winters can dish out, I haven't heard mention of 'Sun King' being any less hardy.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    9 years ago

'patty', I have 3 well established ASK (all in different locations on our property) and they have easily made it through some trying winter conditions. It is an outstanding shade plant. This past season the largest got to 4 feet wide and over 3 feet in height.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    9 years ago

I had several VTP...they are exceptionally hardy and definitely evergreen...and can serve as outstandingly dense groundcover. They are in flower for just a short window.

(I decided to remove them as the location could accommodate more showy plants.)

Original Author
    9 years ago

My ASK made 3' by 3' this year was quite pleased with it. Thanks for your update on yours.
    Got a better pic of EB in this mornings shade.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Tworosz, do the stems on Bonfire stand up if I can find a less yummy spot for her. I like her because it's growth has been leafy enough you can't tell the stems are laying down. I have one spot where I put Calamintha Montrose White and there it remains at It's stated size. Would you have a picture by any chance. If she's hardy up where you are I'll try a pot with poor soil.
    You really get winter up there. If I remember correctly are you on the dry plains. Was wondering if in the long run in ASK might live a longer healthier life receiving less moisture.
    Thank you so much for your kind information.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

Pattyw5, your 'BF' looks perfect to me with its natural tendency to sprawl a bit ... though, mine had done so in extreme to expose the crown with stems being broken off in times of high winds. My soil isn't particularly rich, though had been deeply dug and amended with peat moss. It was a real beauty early in the season, though I hadn't gotten around to taking a photo as intended. I later cut it back and divided and moved the pieces to a holding area to be replanted next spring in non amended soil.

Yes, we realllly get winter up here, lol. Though, just like most places, some winters are much worse than others, such as 2014. I live the rolling forested hills of central Alberta where we "generally" receive adequate rains and low humidity along with pleasant summer temps that make for very comfort gardening weather. When it comes to winter the deep blanket of snow is a life saver for my perennials and other plants.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH