Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Hey Ken

mxk3 z5b_MI
10 years ago

What cultivar of variegated daphne do you have? I remember jumping up and down over yours. I'm making a list of things for next spring (because I will forget if I don't write things down on Post-Its as soon as the thought flits into my mind...). Will probably make a trip out to Arrowhead in the spring, I know they carry daphnes there - is that where you got yours? They have two different ones listed on their website.

Comments (10)

• User
    10 years ago

would that be one of the daphneXburkwoodii types (Briggs Moonlight?Carole Mackie?)

or D.odora aureomarginata

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've heard Carol Mackie isn't a good one.

Whatever Ken has, it is a spectacular specimen. (HAHA watch it be Carol Mackie!)

• Marie Tulin
    10 years ago

She, like her brethren, does have a reputation for "curling up [her] toes" and dying (Dirr). However, mine got smashed by a tree 15 years ago, and not only lived for her owner to tell the tale, but was nearly 5 feet across before she started to die out.
    Don't believe everything you hear!
    idabean

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

of course i have CM .. lol ...

but i have 3 or 4 others ...

try the arrowhead alpines online catalog ...

it doesnt really matter what i have.. its more a question of what they have ...

$20 or so.. for a rooted 6 inch stick.. took a lot of faith ....

if i am not mistaken.. they WANT..NEED.. DEMAND... high draining soil .. no cold wet feet or something like that .... and that is not a problem in my sand... i seem to think.. i lost a few in .... Livonia.. with the good MI peat soil i had built ...

below is a list of my daphne.. if i can find it.. lol..

ken

ps: i dont have time to fire up the old computer.. and get the info onto my laptop .... dont let me forget ... i cant find the names nor the pix i know i have .... on is gold dust.. one is summer renaissance.. summer ice .... and i know there are more ... at worst.. i will go outside and get the names.. check arrrowhead in the meantime

Here is a link that might be useful: 4 pages of names.. and note the middle names change frequently .. you will NOT FIND THESE ANYWHERE ELSE ... as far as i know ....

10 years ago

i cant find the list.. go figure ...

i went out.. i have 2 left... gold dust [improved CM] .... and the repeat bloomer summer renaissance

they were in between some stunning caryopteris.. bluebird mists..one of those was the summer ice .... and i am wondering if you arent recalling those ... there was also a stunning variegated mock orange ...

all were from one trip to arrowhead ...

ken

• marquest
    10 years ago

Ken was the variegated mock orange fragrant?

Sorry Mx do not want to hyjack your post but that comment peaked my interest. lol

10 years ago

yes.. but not a productive as the snow velvet version ... huge white VERY fragrant ...

the standard un named MO is a carp plant ... smells nice for a week.. but not a nice looking plant .....

this one.. is worthy due to its leaves.. the flowers are a bonus ... though not numerous for me ....

P. coronarius 'Variegatus' at link ..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• marquest
    10 years ago

Thank you Ken. I have the old no name. If it is planted in the shade it will bloom for weeks and smell up my entire yard. I love it.

You are right about the look after bloom I keep it shaped up and do pretty colorful shade plants under and around the bush. I just never met a plant I did not like. lol

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

mxk3 - I really like Daphne x transatlantica 'Summer Ice.'

It's perhaps 6 years old, spent its first winter in the small nursery pot it arrived in because its spot-to-be had some construction going on nearby, has survived munching by voles at least one other winter, and even so is a beautiful though quiet presence here every year for the whole growing season, though a bit homely by the end of winter. With the exception of the witch hazels, it is the first shrub to bloom in my garden and is also the last and blooms the entire time in between, though never profusely. Between the narrowly variegated leaves and the constant bloom it is quite lovely, though not a shrub that announces its presence from a distance like Carol M. Mine (bought online from Avant Gardens in MA) is planted in a mostly shaded bed that has perhaps 3 hours of sun near midday and is composed of well composed manure over fine sand and mulched with wood shavings.

In my experience this is an easy plant that is well worth growing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daphne x transatlantica 'Summer Ice'

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh no, it was definitely the daphne I admired - I didn't know what it was so I asked about it and you told me so (whether you told me the cultivar I don't remember, just that it was a daphne).

I looked at Arrowhead's catalog - couple variegated ones there. I'll take a trip out there next spring.