Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

propagating red dogwood

v1rt
15 years ago

I need your expertise. I love my red dogwood. I don't even water it and it thrives very well.

I think it's 5 ft tall now. I would like to propagate them. How do I do the cuttings? How long? Do I plant it directly to the ground? How many leaves should be left? When is the best time to do this?

Thanks!

Neil

Comments (31)

• old_man_by_the_sea
    15 years ago

Here's a thread from the UBC Botanical Garden about the propagation of Dogwoods, specifically Cornus florida.
    Interesting reading.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Dogwoods

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

I assume you are talking about red twig dogwoods. If so, then the following link provides info about hardwood cuttings for propagation.

The following website from the Tautons Gardening website says they can be propagated from hard wood cuttings, softwood cuttings, and seeds.

http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/plantguide/cornus-alba-cvs-red-twig-dogwood.aspx

Having grown both the yellow and red twig dogwoods in the past, I find that they sucker easily so you might be able to nibble away a sucker to get a new plant although I have never done this before.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Twig Dogwood

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yep, it's red twig dogwood. Sorry.

You can propagate Red Twig Dogwoods by taking hardwood cuttings in late fall. To do this, cut a stem that is about the thickness of a pencil. Cut the stem with bypass pruners into six to nine inch sections. Cut each section so there is a bud just below the top of the cutting and just above the bottom of it.

What is a bypass pruner? What does the author mean when he said six to nine inch sections? I'm sorry, I understand it a little but a picture will help me a lot. :)

Thanks!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

Both Cornus alba and C. sericea are very easy to strike from cuttings - some growers simply take 8-10" long cuttings and stick directly into soil in fall or winter. Otherwise softwood cuttings can be done anytime the plant is in leaf.

Because both are suckering shrubs, theoretically one could divide the rootball to generate additional plants. However, unless the plant was well established or a brand new planting, I'd not be inclined to something so severe, but any existing suckers could be liberated, much as Miguel describes.

• john_4b
    15 years ago

You could probably also propagate red-twig dogwoods by layering. Bend over stems to the ground and bury a portion of the stems while leaving the top end of the branch, or growing tip, out of the soil, and eventually the part of the branch buried in the ground will develop roots, and the branch can then be off of the main plant and the newly rooted plant can be dug up and replanted.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm very interested in gardengal48's suggestion since it's very easy. Will it still work here in Chicago especially we are now in the low to mid 20s?

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I guess, I'll just have to do it in spring. This way, severe cold temp won't hurt it.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

Both species of twig dogwood are very cold hardy. It certainly won't hurt to give it a try now, as long as the soil is not frozen. An alternative is to take the cuttings and strike them in a container full of just moistened potting soil. You can keep them in the garage with your hydrangeas :-) It is pretty easy to determine when the cuttings have taken - there will be resistance when you give them a gentle tug, indicating root development, but I wouldn't expect to see much happen over winter.

To answer your previous questions, bypass pruners are those that have blades that move smoothly by each other, like scissors. These provide a very clean, sharp cut. Anvil pruners have a single sharp blade and flattened receiving blade. These tend to squash the stems......not what you want with a cutting. And I wouldn't worry making multiple cuttings from a single stem. You'll get just as good results (perhaps better) by simply using the top 8-10" of each stem as your cutting material. There's bound to be at least one bud in this section, if not more. You do want to take multiple cuttings using multiple stems however, as there is always a percentage that do not take or root.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, I would like to try it. :) I'm thinking of cutting the stems near the wall. This way, the planted dogwood will still look good.

Is it good to make two 10" from one long stem?

So in spring, am I correct that I plant them in groups like 8 to 10 stems per 10 inch diameter?

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    15 years ago

You could do a couple of ten inch cuttings from one stem. Once they have rooted and are ready for planting out I would plant each one separately as they will sucker and eventually send up multiple stems.I take dogwood cuttings to use in my winter pots with spruce tips for holiday decorations. Since I can't pull them out of the frozen pots after the holidays they stay there till the soil has thawed in spring, usually sometime in April. Most years almost all of the dogwood cuttings have begun to root. I'm sure that if I left them another month or two they'd be well rooted and ready for growing on. Good luck.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Awesome! Do I need to scrape the skin a litte from the part that will be in the soil? And also, do I need to cut it diagonally?

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    15 years ago

Good luck, mine are outside in pots and as I said, will be there until probably mid April or so.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did tuck some as well outside. :D I'll check if it will make it. I'll just transplant them in spring.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    15 years ago

Interesting! I have some redtwigs in need of pruning and I'm going to try a combination of these methods. I have some two or three foot tall suckers coming off mine I plan on cutting free in early March I suppose.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I brought them all out. I always forget to water them once every 2 weeks. They're still looking good. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

As promised, here is the pic of my dogwood experiment.

{{gwi:282742}}

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hostaholic2,

I went out to check the cuttings that I directly put to the ground. 80%-90% of the stem are brown. Now, I am worried about my redtwig in pots that I put outside recently. They might die as well. :(

• ajpa
    15 years ago

Hi v1rtu0s1ty,
    How are your cuttings in the pots doing?

I want to try to get a cutting from a red dogwood bush that my development has in the common area. (After I buy some rooting hormone).

I was wondering if I should stick it in a WS container (milkjug)? The bushes are already lopped off so I will only be able to get a fairly short cutting.

Thanks!
    ajpa

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi ajpa,

The cuttings are still looking good. :)

Here is the latest pic.

{{gwi:282743}}

• ajpa
    15 years ago

Cool!
    I'm going to try to sneak myself a cutting.

Thanks!

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hahaha! Good luck! :)

By the way folks, I saw a shrub that looks very very similar to redtwig dogwood last week. However, the colors of the stems are lighter red. It stands up like a redtwig dogwood but looks like that the ones I saw grew new stem on top.

What could be that plant?

• token28001
    15 years ago

It could be a willow. Coral Embers is a variety of willow that has nice redish stems. They're very easy to root in water.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey token, looks like it's Coral Embers!!! :D That was a great guess! It really looks like the one I saw.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coral Embers on google

• ajpa
    15 years ago

Mission accomplished! Red-twig dogwood cuttings acquired.
    I even wore shades when I took it (hey, it was windy).

Here's hoping they root!

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL!

Anyways, my redtwig dogwood cuttings experiment was a success!!! They are showing some small leaves now. :D

Woohoo!!!

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    14 years ago

See, they are easy to propagate.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks hostaholic2! :)

Now, here is my question. In each pot, I think I put like 5 to 8 stems. When I plant them in their final destination, should I separate them or just plant one whole pot in hole?

Thanks!

• agibson441
    8 years ago

Hello you all have such great advise....I need some help wity my red twig dogwoods....I'm not sure what to do but they all are newer but growing from one singular brownish stem more like a teee than a shrub..how can I fix this???

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago

The red colouration is strongest in new growth. Old stems gradually become normal 'wood' colour. Yours is doing just that. Cut the shrub to the ground every couple of years and don't let it grow on a 'leg'.

• Scott Robert
    2 years ago
    • I was wondering this same tging. I bought 3 sigle ones rooted and put in a pot. Should they be planted together or seperate. Will each one form a bush like the parent one or is each one like a sucker and can be planted together to make it look like a bush.

PARENT BUSH

the 3 single porpagated ones. I planted

• v1rt
      Original Author12 years agoThanks hostaholic2! :)Now, here is my question. In each pot, I think I put like 5 to 8 stems. When I plant them in their final destination, should I separate them or just plant one whole pot in hole?Thanks!Liked | 1
      Save
Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting