Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southerngardening24

daylily order

I finally recieved my daylily order from springhill. It was a collection of 5 different daylilies. Two of them were substituted for 2 different ones because they were out of the original ones. Most are small single fans. Was wondering if anyone here has ordered from them and what their daylily orders looked like. Is that what I should expect? Shouldn't they make sure their items are in stock or at least email and let customers know they are out of certain plants and ask if it's ok to substitute?

Am I asking for too much? Probably. Would still love to her other's experiences with their daylilies in particular. Thanks everyone!

Comments (23)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

you most likely.. got what you paid for ... you dont mention price ...

i quit using them about 25 years ago ....

if you want to give us a pic... and tell us what you paid... we might be able to opine in that regard ..

i suspect you could get your answer at the garden watchdog place....;

ken

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

A resource you might want to use before doing mail order again is called Garden Watchdog. Do a web search for it since I am not allowed to link to it. You can type in a company's name and get reviews from gardeners who've ordered from them.

Spring Hill has about equal positive and negative reviews over the past year, not good.

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to you both! I paid $29. Can't post a pic right now. They are soaking in water buckets until tomorrow. Will take pics then for sure. I did read through gardenwatchdog today and did notice both positive and negative. Since I am a second year gardener and am not that familiar with alot of plants I just am not sure if the daylilies are the usual size that they ship or not. I did purchase some daylilies from someone on ebay a few months ago and they were definitely alot larger and included alot more fans for about the same cost.

To make it simple in the future, Santa rosa will be the only mail order place that will get my money. :-)

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Try Lily Auction! I have purchased there and most of the experts on the daylily forum have also used them. It works sort of like Ebay. The sellers get feedback so you have confidence of your purchases being nice. Check out the daylily forum when you have time, go back and look at posts from july and august, enjoy!

Sherry

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

I am not a novice gardener but when I wanted to add daylilies in my various garden beds, I researched daylily sellers, selecting those that offered what I was looking for in terms of bloom color, height & bloom season (i.e., early, mid- or late-season flowering). I ordered only from sellers with perfect or near-perfect customer feedback that offered 3-5 fans per order. Prior to ordering, I contacted the sellers via email to confirm the cultivars I wanted were available.

Did I pay more for the plants I bought? Perhaps, but I got healthy plants that suited my defined needs/preferences.

My defined goals were to plant them & enjoy them. End of story. Chances are if you read the fine print in the Springhill catalog, you'll find they reserve the right to substitute items that are out of stock.

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Springhill is not a really good place to order daylilies. There are some really great daylilies nursery with very reasonable prices and nice fans. I have a good purchase experience with New Every Morning and Blue Ridge.

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are the pics Ken.

Sherry: I have checked out the daylily auction and may give it a try at some point. The daylily forum is great and people post some beautiful pics on there.

Will check out the 2 you mentioned kousa.

Thanks to all! :-)

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

2nd pic

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the worst looking one of all.

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

pic4

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

pic5.

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Can I ask where you are, southerngardening24? Is your soil still workable? It is kinda late to be planting daylilies, I think. Do you still have 6 weeks before your first freeze? The daylilies need at least 4-6 weeks to get their roots established before winter comes.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Hi again, looked at the pictures, they will probably grow but they dont compare to any of the plants i have purchased on line considering what you paid. Most online stores also send extra plants or fans with your purchase. I have also purchased from Blue Ridge daylilies, great service and good size healthy plants, reasonable prices. Most posters on the daylily forum have purchased from them and all have been happy. I know there are other good sellers, just reading that forum will point you in the right direction for purchases. The selection online is incredible compared to what most people find at their local nurseries.

Sherry

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kousa: I'm in upstate SC very close to Clemson, SC. We have had freezing temps the last few nights. I shouldn't have ordered this late in the season but temptation won and the order was supposed to be shipped sooner. Anyway, our soil doesn't usually freeze and even though the odds may be against me, I'm going to plant them tomorrow and hope for the best. It's supposed to go up to around 55 degrees again starting tomorrow.

The bed they are going in was prepared weeks ago so the soil should still be easy to work with, hopefully. They will be somewhat protected by a fence on one side and the house foundation a few feet away on the other side. Not sure if that would help but I hope it will.

Sherry: It really was a dissapointment to see these small things and not doubles at least. I have ordered from gilbert wild and they sent good sized plants and more fans and they also sent a bonus plant. Blue ridge daylilies is added to the list now. Thank you.

Like you said, there's such a large selection of online suppliers, it is overwhelming, especially for someone who is just starting out.
    One of the best sources for daylilies around here is probably the upstate daylily society sale at our local botanical gardens spring and fall sales. They are very generous with their plants.

Our local nursery only has a small selection of daylilies. Otherwise I'd have bought some there.

• cecily
    9 years ago

Oakes daylilies in TN is a nice supplier and they have a lovely display garden you could visit.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

I have purchased from Oakes also! Good size healthy plants and free fans. The selection at Oakes isnt as diverse, I think their more expensive varieties can be found elswhere for less money so find the varieties you like and check around before you purchase. Blue Ridge daylilies also sells on the Lily Auction. I also have a favorite seller on the Lily Auction. She sells seasonally and is located in central Illinois. Her name on the auction is bnich and her online store is Oak Hills daylilies. I was thrilled with my purchases from her as were several other posters on the daylily forum, some of which are in your zone. She also answers emails promptly, great service again. I found these places to purchase through fellow posters and have been totally happy with everything. Looking forward to spring !

Sherry

• catkin
    9 years ago

I was unaware that daylilies ever died! :~)

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

A lot of daylilies vendors have sales around late August and early Sept. Although the new releases are pricey, the oldies are very cheap. If you ever want to add Joan Senior and Hyperion Elite to your daylilies collection, let me know. I have a lot of those and will be happy to send them to you for postage.

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is very generous of you! I would love to add them to my small collection. Thank you!

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

OK, I will email you sometimes in April or early May.

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looking forward to it kousa! :-)

• dick_in_ohio
    7 years ago

I second the motion on Oakes and Blue Ridge. Both send big healthy plants. You won't be disappointed.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County