Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wayne_z5_ia

new plants just received

wayne_z5_ia
9 years ago

I have an urgent request for some suggestions. i have just received a replacement order from a mail order nursery. They kept putting me off and, when I called to ask them to wait until next spring, they said they had just mailed them. You all know how brutally cold it is all over the country. I do have the ground worked up and have a lot of mulch and cover protection. The nursery says they will be just fine if I mulch them good. I'm more than skeptical about that, although I have transplanted many perennials during the winter and have had good success. They even assured me that they are still planting plants in the ground, although that seems pretty unlikely for a nursery.
I received 1 German iris
1 butterfly bush
2 daylily
1 Ann magnolia
1 blue mist shrub (caryopteris) no name. i know this is a hardy variety, as I have one that made it through last winter.
Is it possible to winter these in pots? I know perennials are supposed to be in the ground, but under the circumstances, what are the chances for success? i have a shed that we keep at 40 degrees with no light. Also, an unheated garage. Come on, experts, give me some advice.
Thanks so much.
Wayne

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting