Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Still Standing after all these frosts

We have had a few frosts in November and I am pleased to see some perennials still holding there own:

"Shockwave" phlox in the foreground (and still just fine roses in the back)
{{gwi:282817}}

Heuchera/ella are quite sturdy. I really love "Solar Eclipse".

{{gwi:282819}}

And Huechera "Havana" is so noticeable against the background of fallen leaves (+ Brunera "Silver Heart" in between)

Comments (6)

• ryseryse_2004
    10 years ago

My Lamium "White Nancy" and the purple ones are still growing and blooming even under a light cover of snow.

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

The first killing frost here (Aurora, On) was at the end of October.

As Rouge previously noticed, both he and I posted pictures of Arend's (fall) monkshood next to persicaria (in mid October).

That killing frost finished my persicaria above the ground, but the monkshood survived very well. The other noticeable demise with that frost was my eupatorium.

Early in the fall, I planted a hybrid New York aster (Henry III (blue)). Been amazed at how long its blooms have lasted; much longer than the New England aster blooms.

Picture below is today (Nov. 12, 2013).
    (Warmer at the end of this week, so the snow won't be around then.)

• sunnyborders
    10 years ago

Quite a number of low perennials are still green in the garden, many of which are spring flowering plants that remain green under the snow (e.g. primulas).

The last perennial left, in flower, in our garden is invariably Chrysathemum 'Mei Kyo'. I always clear the perennial beds before the onset of winter, among other reasons so the spring bulb flowers and low early perennials can be seen. Consequently, such late season blooming is not very convenient.

For that matter, who wants to hang around in the garden when it's uncomfortably cold? Maybe other than to plant a few more sale spring bulbs, if weather permits!

Below 'Mei Kyo' (Nov 6, 2009).

• perennialfan273
    10 years ago

I am amazed at how frost hardy my curly parsley is. After we got our first frost I assumed that it would die off along with everything else in my vegetable garden, but it's still going strong.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

Rouge, I have been very surprised this year with how well heuchera is holding up with frosts. I had honestly never noticed it before, but I'm amazed every time I see them lately still looking quite fresh and happy.

• rusty_blackhaw
    10 years ago

It's 27F tonight and we've had nearly four inches of snow, but the temp is 41 in the coldframe and my late season salad and root crops are still hanging in there.

The soil heating cables are doing the trick for now. We'll see how things go next week (when nighttime temps are expected to sink into single digits).

Of course, the indoor light garden is in fine shape, particularly the large-flowered Thai hybrid crown of thorns plants. These really should be more readily available in stores for the holidays - long-lasting blooms, easy culture and years of enjoyment compared to grow-it-and-throw-it poinsettias.

Of course, it's a lot easier for growers and nurseries to profit from plants that have to be replaced every year.