Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
overwintering potted sedums

Posted by idabean 5A (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 19:53

I have sedum in gritty soil in shallow planters (angelina, john creech, anonyomous) I think they will rot outdoors in winter when the medium is consistently wet from sleet, rain and snow. No doubt the wet medium would freeze solid.
Should I leave them outside but in a protected area? Or can I bring them inside, put them in a bright window with occasional watering?
What have you done that worked?
Thanks,
idabean/marie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: overwintering potted sedums

I put mine in the heated greenhouse each winter. It is only heated to 60*. The hardy ones are planted along the foundation of the house. A warm area in the house would be great.

o

I've overwintered creeping and upright sedum starts in pots outdoors over the winter (and believe me, it can get wet here in winter and spring!) without much trouble.

I half buried the small pots in the corner of my raised veggie bed and put a sheet of hard plastic across the blocks, over top of them and a few other seedlings/plant starts that wanted dry-ish conditions over winter. I put a few rocks on top of the hard plastic to keep it from blowing off. Then when the plants/soil in the pots looked dry I would throw a few handfuls of snow on top of the pots.

You might also just put it next to the foundation house, where it is protected and kept dry by the overhang of your house, or even in an unheated garage.
CMK

o

the one thing i suspect you couldnt kill if you wanted to.. it would be sedum.. lol ... but you are probably right on the winter water issue ...

i would simply put pots on the north side of a building.. no sun ever ... and tip them on there sides.. once they were frozen solid ... presuming the plants are fully zone appropriate ... this way.. when snow melts.. you dont have water accumulating in forzen potting media ... and a dormant plant wont care about sideways ...

if you are meaning you have them in shallow tray type pots ... gather them together.. and get a box from the grocer.. and once frozen.. say 1/1 .. put the box over them to keep out moisture.. and uncover in march or so ... when the pots thaw naturally ...

me thinks you might be over-thinking sedum a bit.. dont you??? .. unless these are some rare sedum i never heard of.. and i claim no real knowledge of the foo foo ones ...

ken

o

thanks, everyone. Ken, I think you are right. They just look so pretty now....especially in the first light snow. They are potted in the bowl of bird bath and the bottom 1/4 of a formerly large clay pot that broke after being left out all winter. I really do not enjoy fussing with overwintered plants or storing and trying to remember to water hunks of brown vegetative matter which involves trecherous basement stairs.
It seems I underthought what first appeared to be overthought. think I'll stick them outside somewhere out of the elements
idabean

o

Marie - I have some shallow succulent planters and I just put them where they won't get too much moisture - under a stone bench or on my back porch. This has worked well so far. I do this with my bearded iris that are still in pots too. I have enough inside plants to deal with.
: D

o

righto ...

the issue .. simply put is liquid water ... on a frozen media ... you know.. those days where its warm enough for snow thaw ... or rain.. rather than snow ...

the media.. which is chosen for drainage.. all of a sudden.. being frozen soil.. does not drain ...

a secondary issue is the freeze/thaw cycles in very late winter ...

once the media is frozen.. just dont let water accumulate ... heck i have extra garbage can lids .. kids saucers .. cardboard anything.. to just shield ... rose cones ... or deflect liquid water ... JUST DONT LET HEAT ACCUMULATE UNDER ANYTHING ...

when its still winter.. but basically spring.. early march.. z5 ... take the stuff off.. no waiting until may ... lol .. let nature bring them out of dormancy..

do NOT let any heat accumulate .. so i would prefer full shade ... house.. bench.. deck ... etc ...

ken

o

While I might put them in a drier spot - under a bench, under the eaves, etc. - for a bit of extra protection, I would have to think that sedums in a pot will stay much drier than sedums in the ground, no? And my sedums in the ground always come through the winter fine.

As for freezing, the last few years I've been just too darned pooped to lug my huge(but decreasing!) pot ghetto into the garage, and most of it stays out in the driveway. I've hardly lost a thing in years, and the sedums, irises, etc., in the pots come through as well.

I personally would never bring them in, but that's only because my door is the Threshold of Doom for any plant that crosses it, lol. I've got one plant from our NE Forum trip to Logee's a few years back that I'm trying to keep alive. Everything else dies. But if you are better at this overwintering indoors thing than I am, good luck!

:)
Dee

o

We had sedum left over from transplanting that we left on concrete, over the winter, completely forgot about it until I noticed it blooming late summer.

It was a mild winter, and maybe we have a tough variety, but that stuff is tough.

o

I have an old hanging basket pot full of sedums. In summer I put this pot in a decorative pot and in winter I bury the pot in the garden. Never an issue with sogginess or the fact it freezes. After all, sedums in the ground are often froze solid here anyway and go through freeze-thaw cycles.

tj

o

I've wintered over my sedums and succulents with my houseplants. Mine is in a sunny west window. They aren't quite getting enough sun and they reach toward the sun, but that's an easy fix in the spring. A south window would be better, which I don't have.

o

Ken - sideways - brilliant!

I've wondered about this too and there's nothing out there that says Sedum need a dormant period for those curious about the "house plant" route. More good testimonials here too. A few little tips I potted are confused but one is making a new little flower cluster.

o

I overwinter many sedum in pots outiside in my holding beds. In addition to very sharp draining soil and I mulch them with gravel. Seems to work as I have very few casualties.

o

You all seem to have the sedum grown in pots, can these be planted out? I bought some seeds, but I know nothing about the plant except for the visual. Do they have to be kept in pots?

o

Marie,
I was like you, I wasn't sure what I was going to do with my sedums. So, some were planted in the ground, some in pots were brought indoors and some are in a cool room in the house. I also took about 50 cutting, which I hope will survive. The last I am not thinking was a good idea. But I think they are fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here