Return to the Perennials Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scabiosa

Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 20:15

Anyone grow Scabiosa from seed? Does it flower the first year from seed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scabiosa

Yes, most will.

o

...and then reseed itself and flower the next year...and the next...and...

I think mine went on a good ten years and then didn't show up one year for some reason.

tj

o

I think it depends on the variety. I have Scabiosa Fama Blue and had Scabiosa Isaac House Hybrids, which did not return the third year. Both were grown from seed and both bloomed the second year. I had grown a couple of not hardy here varieties, a purple one, and Beaujolais Bonnets and both bloomed the same year I planted seeds but did not return.

I also started the yellow variety, ochroleuca. It bloomed the first year and was indeed the gift that keeps on giving - everywhere!

I like Fama Blue a lot. It starts blooming early and blooms until the really cold weather kills the tops. I have several buds on one of mine right now and it's still trying to open them, in spite of having gone through several freezes here already. Mine does need a support system, though, which I plan to use next year.

All that being said, Scabiosa are one of my favorite plants.

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here