Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

bulbs clearance

v1rt
15 years ago

however, can I still plant them? We are hitting below 30s now.

Comments (12)

• gonativegal
    15 years ago

Speaking from the same region here, as long as the bulbs are not soft and the ground is not completely frozen you can plant bulbs into December in N. IL.

However, I've found that this late in the season you will have better luck with any of the Alliums,crocuses, snowdrops.

Where it becomes iffy is with the daffodils, tulips & species & bearded iris - I find that they are not the best buy this late, especially when they've been sitting on the big box store shelves in a non temperature regulated environment (this BYTW is one of the reasons you pay more for bulbs from growers besides the bigger size as they are kept in a climate controlled environment).

The daffodils usually start to go soft and the tulips and irises are usually already dried out. It's not a bargain if half the bag is dead or rotten.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info! I'll go check what are left and post it here tomorrow.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    15 years ago

Agree with above poster - if the bulbs are in good condition when you buy them, then yes you can plant them now.

• arbo_retum
    15 years ago

we planted healthy tulips and daffs one dec. WITH A PICKAX(oh my wonderful Love)and they all came up that spring.
    best,
    mindy

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was unlucky, when I went back to the store, they were all gone

• gonativegal
    15 years ago

Not sure where you are in the burbs but the Broadview Home Depot as of 11/26/08 (I bought a couple of bags for a client) had a quite number of big bags of daffodils (in good shape - not soft or rotten). Might be worth a call to their store or a stop if you are nearby.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was at Barn Nursery the other day and they still had many bulbs. I'll try HD tomorrow. Thanks!

• goodhors
    15 years ago

My local HD had bulbs 50% off on Wed. I got a couple bags of Tulips that need planting. Bulbs were in good shape, firm and plump, but with the Thanksgiving rush, not planted yet. Our ground is hard, so I am going to try laying them on the surface, covering with lots of dirt I saved from garden pots in the fall. It will add some dirt to the bed, and hoping it gives the bulbs enough cover to bloom in spring.

I probably would have passed on them, $3something a dozen, but they were the splashed color ones, my favorites! And one bag of lily tulips. There were a LOT of other bulbs, Tulips of several colors, doubles, Daffodils of various shapes and colors. I have many daffs and ground IS FROZEN or I would have bought more. Very faithful bloomers for me.

So give your local HD a call if you want some bulbs.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    15 years ago

Where are you in Northern IL? I anc tell you a few places where I've looked, but have found nothing special.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm in Huntley near Carpentersville, Algonquin and Lake in the Hills. Barn Nursery in Cary still has some.

Thanks!

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    15 years ago

Ah! Way beyond me. ItÂs pretty much wiped out around here (Buffalo Grove). Though with all the snow we got last night I donÂt know why we should be wanting more bulbs! I still have daffodils unplanted.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I always pass by Buffalo Grove. My building is in Vernon Hills :) Buffalo Grove is a very nice place!