Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grovegreenguy

Helianthus 'Sunshine Daydream'

FrozeBudd_z3/4
10 years ago

This helianthus was planted in June and the vigorous thing grew and grew until finally maxing out at 6 ft tall and covered in golden bloom and healthy dark green foliage. Flowering began in early September and laughing off those first frosts of October. Next year, I expect the display will begin earlier with the plant then being established.

Terrance

Comments (17)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Blooming away

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    10 years ago

I especially love that first photo.

(Which very floriferous hydrabgea is in the background?)

I have this plant on my "to buy" list for next season. There is a dearth of info on this particular helianthus on GW.

Boday, I see that you mentioned it a few times in past threads. Did you ever get it for your garden?

This post was edited by rouge21 on Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 7:21

• boday
    10 years ago

I see the Canadians are waxing strong. Where is Sask?

Oh yeah on the "Sunshine Daydream". It comes up late in the spring though.

It's hit -14 C and no snow cover. Not good. I went out and covered the Hakone grass, Carpet roses and Hibiscus - boxes of leaves.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello Rouge, the hydrangea is 'Little Lamb', someone on GW had before given it the fitting name 'Big Ram', lol ... this year, it topped out at 5' x 5' with 150 blooms!

'Sunshine Daydream' is fast growing and sturdy and would make an excellent screening plant, I think I'll use several in a row to block out the potato patch. Good to know about it being slow to emerge in spring, I'll place some divisons next to the foundation of the house, where the extra heat will get them going earlier in the season.

• david883
    10 years ago

AWESOME! It reminds me of heliopsis, which I love for its bright yellow blooms and those dark green leaves! I'm adding this to my list, too! Thanks for sharing!

10 years ago

Oh yeah on the "Sunshine Daydream". It comes up late in the spring though.

And how has SD performed for you?

For your established plant(s) how tall does it reach and when does it begin to flower?

(Btw, did you obtain SD at a 'garden variety' nursery? I say this as I have only seen it through mail order. I am wondering it it goes by another name(s))

..boxes of leaves

I plan to do similarly after work today.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 10:27

• dbarron
    10 years ago

Yeah, does look like heliopsis and not helianthus, but I haven't heard of this one.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

David883, you're for sure to enjoy this helianthus! Any of my garden buddies who had seen it in bloom had asked for a future division :)

Rouge, the plant had pretty much maxed out in height before coming into bloom, It was a good find among the many great plants offered by Canning Perennials.

As for the helianthus / heliopsis issue, 'Sunshine Daydream' carries foliage that's an almost dead ringer to annual sunflowers, it even smells the very same.

9 years ago

Hoping you can provide an UPDATE twrosz:

I am just wondering if your wonderful SSDD has shown itself this spring?

(I purchased 2 of these plants last week in small pots with nothing showing; the vendor said she will replace if they fail to show life).

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, both plants are alive and emerging with TONS of new shoots. These had been transplanted a couple of weeks ago and had an extensive root system, I'm hoping they won't become invasive.

TR

9 years ago

UPDATE:

Last season TR made us aware of this wonderful helianthus and so I picked up a few of these plants this year. He later commented in another thread that SD has grown very large for him. Well given my limited space I was concerned but corresponding with the 'developer' of this perennial he did say that it can be successfully cut back significantly in June to get a much more reduced overall size (with of course blooms occurring much later).

I am thinking that this particular specimen in my garden is a bit what he is describing. It is now coming into bloom at about 2 feet in height. It isnt a problem that it is flowering so late as I need more Autumn color.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nice photo rouge.

My two plants vary greatly, the one on the south side of the house set in deep rich soil is a monster of over 6' x 3' wide and blooming away for about five weeks now. I couldn't snap a decent photo because it doesn't suit this location and needs to be moved. The other is in leaner soil and receives less hours of sun and just now flowering, that one being about 3 ft tall and neat and perfect looking just like rouge's :)

This post was edited by twrosz on Mon, Sep 1, 14 at 16:21

• arbo_retum
    9 years ago

tw, it is SOOO valuable when someone does a report like yours- how the same plant responds differently in diff locations/conditions. th you!

• ladygladys
    9 years ago

Beautiful, rouge21! Did you purchase it locally?

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

Mine is also at about 3 feet and putting out a few blooms. The last two summers have had some real dry spells and I think this is what's kept it short, but the foliage is still great unlike the monarda which tried to overwhelm it earlier in the year.

• flowergirl70ks
    9 years ago

Around here it's known as perennial dahlia. I hack out at least half every year, and always have twice as much as I want. Been blooming for at least a month and still going strong.

9 years ago

ladygladys until about mid July of this year it had not been readily available but now I see it for sale all over.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals