Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 23:05

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me id these flowers

1st & 3rd look like New Guinea impatiens. 2nd looks like geranium

o

the 3rd pic .. which is the second plant.. is some kind of begonia ...

yes on the impatiens ...

ken

o

1st & 2nd - New Guinea impatiens

3rd - some kind of begonia (very pretty color!)

4th - ?

Dee

o

Pics 1 & 2 (plant 1): Impatiens
Pic 3 (plant 2): wax Begonias
Pic 4 (plant 3): Impatiens

o

3 is certainly a Begonia but since we can't see the leaves, have no indication of scale and I presume the picture was taken in Singapore it may not be B semperflorens (Wax Begonia) but some other species. The flowers are similar on many Begonias.

o

Pictures was from Cameron Highlands. Went there for vacation.

o
Can't edit my reply

Can't edit my above reply. Thanks for IDing the flowers.

o

The fourth picture is of a Variegated Spreading Salmon SunPatien. Normally, Park Seed sells the plant but I think they're sold out at this time.

o

art33 - the OP is in Malaysia, so probably can't buy seed from the US.

coralred - both Impatiens and Begonias are easy from cuttings if you are ever back there again. But maybe they won't flourish where you live since the Cameron Highlands have a particular climate - cooler than elsewhere in Malaysia, I believe.

o

flora_uk,

Yeah, I don't know about seeds but Park Seed Co does sell the plant (see link below).

Art

Here is a link that might be useful: Spreading Salmon SunPatien

o

Looking at the Park Seed photo, I'm not convinced it's the same plant. The OP's picture shows very asymmetrical blooms. I'm sure that Malaysian plant breeders have worked on Impatiens too and quite probably produced their own strains. Cameron Highlands is the centre of the flower nursery business in Malaysia.

o

Actually I am from Singapore but I make it a point to go Cameron Highlands annually to enjoy the cool weather and plants. Singapore is just too warm and humid for a lot of pretty flowers to grow unfortunately.

o

I'd love to get my hands on the impatiens on the last image. Where can I purchase?

o

Jeanome, (although all of the plants pictured are frost-tender perennials,) when they sell flats of annuals, the New Guinea Impatiens usually appear at the same time, but sold individually in 4 inch pots or larger. Also often part of a mixed display already assembled in a larger pot. Probably around March 1 where you are.

Flora, TY! The more I learn about Begonias, the more I realize I don't know much. They are such a huge and complicated bunch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here