RE: Is this a lily? Picture taken in North-West of the Himalayas

Looks more like Gentian.

o

Posted by floral_uk 8/9 (My Page) on Thu, Dec 12, 13 at 5:21

How interesting - thank you -

o

For a bit of a comparison; Gentiana dahurica 'Nikita'.

I do have G. straminea (has white flowers), that grows up to about a foot, but no pictures of it.

o

I did some poking around and there is a Gentian native to the Tibet area that looks somewhat similar....G. tibetica.
CMK

o

Posted by SunnyBorders 5A (My Page) on Fri, Dec 13, 13 at 12:08

Wow, that is a lovely blue-flowering plant. Do you have close-up pictures of the flowers? Are they blue or purple?

o

Sorry JJ, don't have a close-up.

I know photos and light can both appear to "lie" about colour, but that picture's probably a fair representation.

To me definitely blue.

There is that business of "tetrachromacy" in some human females: namely, they appear to have a fourth colour receptive pigment in the retina of the eye.

My wife and I frequently disagree about purple and blue, with her describing a flower as purple and me as blue.

I don't think, however, we'd disagree on gentian blue.

I might be wrong, but I tend to see the species, Gentiana dahurica (see below) more truly (for me) blue ("Oxford blue", where I was brought up) than the cultivar, G. dahurica 'Nikita'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Perennials Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here