Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

columbine: nora barlow, New York iron weed, foxglove, cockscomb

My daughter gave me some seeds from Mount Vernon - those listed above. We live in Tulsa, OK, and I would like to know anything about them.

I have about 110 rose bushes, and just a few perennials. It would be great to be able to grow these successfully. I think this is the best site for me to ask.

Thanks for any information you can give me.

Sammy

Comments (8)

• gardenweed_z6a
    9 years ago

Swallowtail Garden Seeds will give you the botanical name of the seeds (see link below); the Tom Clothier database will tell you the climate conditions necessary for germination. Not all seeds need a cold period in order to germinate.

Where I am, the easiest way to grow Aquilegia/columbine is to let them self-sow where they will--I don't have much luck growing them from seed sown in containers. I did grow Digitalis/foxglove from seed but they're evidently annuals here since they didn't return after winter.

I don't grow annuals but believe cockscomb falls into that category rather than perennials. The seeds may be viable but it will generally not return in subsequent years after it blooms.

Best of luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tom Clothier database

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

columbine would probably prefer a shadier (semi-wooded) environment that is slightly moist, and would not bloom the first year. just broadcast the seeds in the spring. of course, you could always reserve a few and start them in a specific location. foxglove is a form of digitalis, blossoms are poisonous to cats and dogs and peeps. it can spread, and is considered a weed up here.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Most (though not all) kinds foxglove (Digitalis) are biennial, so they grow a rosette of leaves in year one, flowers in year two, and usually die after that, though once in a blue moon they will come back for a second year of blooming in my garden. Leave some of the later bloom stalks to go to seed if you want it to continue, but deadhead early bloom stalks to get additional booms as the summer progresses. Mine seems to like it best in part shade and relatively even moisture as that's where it seeds most. It blooms most of the summer and sometimes into the fall for me. Occasionally its medium-large leaves will overwhelm a more delicate plant, so I remove seedlings where this might happen. The most common ones (Digitalis purpurea) are various shades of white, pink and pinkish purple. All foxglove plants contain a compound that effects heart rhythms if eaten, so be sure to wash your hands after handling.

As Gardenweed said, Columbine (Aquilegia) self-seeds readily here in New England, but it plays well with others and is easy to remove, so it isn't a pest. It seems happiest when direct seeded, but I have transplanted it successfully. It is a spring to midsummer bloomer here. The original Nora Barlow is a double deep pink with some paler/greenish areas on the petals, a quite different form than traditional columbines, but IME the plant behaves the same way as more traditional columbines. There are now other columbines with similar form but other colors. IME most columbines are relatively short-lived perennials (a few years, but not more than 5 or 6) so save some seed just in case.

IME, New York Ironweed (Vernonia noveboracensis) is a great plant for the wilder edges of the garden. It is a perennial native wildflower, tall and with a purple flower that happens here for just a few weeks in late August into September. There is often some purple shading to the stems. NY ironweed likes wet feet, at least here in New England since that's where the wild populations are, though it will probably grow just fine in average soil once established. My only ironweed/Vernonia, a different species than your seeds, was eaten by voles within weeks of its planting, so if you have voles, you might want to protect the plant with some hardware cloth. If you don't want seedlings, deadhead.

Cockscomb (Celosia) is usually planted as an annual, though I think there are some varieties which are perennial in the warmest zones. Depending on the type, the plants' height may vary quite a bit so perhaps either the seed packets or your daughter can give you more information about the plants' height. The flower form may vary some as well, but they are usually bright shades of red, orange and gold.

My garden is well-drained, acid, fine sandy loam with fairly good organic matter and my weather is quite different from yours, so YMMV.

• docmom_gw
    9 years ago

Bragu, I would love foxglove to behave like a weed. It is native where I am, but hasn't reseeded for me.

Iron Weed grows well in slightly moist ditches along the road in full sun. I have some growing in my yard in dry conditions and part shade, but it hasn't bloomed.

Columbine can germinate well using the wintersowing method.

Martha

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Columbine, celosia, and foxglove plants grow well in my amended clay soil. They germinate with winter sowing for me as well, then are transplanted in locations where I wish them to continue to grow or are potted up and planted out in the fall.

While it is often suggested to grow columbine in shady areas it also grows and blooms in full sun in my mostly sunny gardens. Columbine survives 3-5 years for me but is a modest self seeder so between winter sowing and self seeding I am never without those lovely blooms.

I wish foxglove would reseed but have not had that happen. After two or three years this biennial often disappears so I winter sow new ones from seed every year. Though the seeds are tiny they germinate exceptionally well so sow lightly and remember that the leaves on digitalis purpurea grow long & wide. Deadheading foxglove the first year or two of bloom may extend the life of the plants to 3-4 years.

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

Columbine is not going to like it hot but since you have the seeds, sow them in shade. People around here purchase them as early spring bedding plants but they fry once the heat sets in. I think of them as a Colorado mountain plant more so than here on the plains.

Ironweed has a low germination rate so sow thickly. I read they come up best when sown outdoors in early summer as opposed to sowing in winter or a cold frame. Its a very tall plant that will take about 4 years to reach blooming size. Good luck.

Cockscomb should be easy. Its a self sower.

• cedar_wa
    9 years ago

I have had Nora Barlow for years now. I originally bought the seeds because they were being promoted as "new". They were grown in Virginia by George and Tom in their gardens. So,hot weather is not a problem. I have found success with columbine to chill in fridge for a couple of weeks in a small amount of dampened starting mix and then spread seeds in a larger container to germinate. Late winter is a good time to do this or even now, if spring comes early where you live.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

For the Foxglove fans, Digitalis grandiflora is a real gem. This one is long lived and a lovely soft yellow. I like to cut the flowering stems back since it will keep putting new flowering stems up pretty much all season. If I want them to reseed I let a couple of stems go to seed later in the season. The plants shown are quite young, first year (from pots planted the fall before) Quick growth from seed though too.