Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mwiehn

Calamintha Question

marcindy
11 years ago

I wonder if anyone can tell me a little more about this plant and what some of the better varieties are? I grew the regular clamintha nepetoides for the first time this past year and really liked it. Long blooming period, totally unfazed by a major drought and heat, bees loved it, great looking plant. It did open sprawl a little in the center, but nothing terrible.

I am looking for a good edging plant for a more formal garden bed and I was wondering if anyone has had anyexperiences with the other varieties like Montrose White and White Cloud. Any info about those in comparison with the straight species would be really helpful. I am trying to decide if I should just go with the straight species or if any of the selections have qualities that would make it better for a edging plant or create a fuller look, or look... I don't know... more refined? You know? Also, especially tendencies to sprawl or fall open in the center would be important for me to know. Thanks for your feedback!
Marc

Comments (8)

• marcindy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I spent some time online and reading through blogs, and I think I will go with the Montrose White variety of calamintha. It seems to be a little shorter, more compact, and doesn't reseed.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    11 years ago

I planted Montrose White In spring of this year. Hate judging a plant in its first year. My soil is rather rich and that can affect size. I'm in northern Illinois, Montrose White was about 18" h but a good 3ft. wide. Trimmed MW as didn't want it any larger. Branching was dence and strong. Foliage stayed beautiful until Dec 1st. Very happy with plant except for size. Can't tell you how she would hold up in stroms we had none this year. grrr The trim backs that she got did not affect bloom power at all. However MW was moved to a safer spot. Every bee and wasp species that we have here was on her all day every day. Might not know about survival in wet winters since wretched drought still continues. I would recommend Montrose White over White Cloud as I thought it better branched and smaller. But it definitely can get larger than stated size. Hope this was a bit helpful. Pat

• marcindy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so, much for your feedback, Pat. I am a little concerned about the eventual size, but I agree with you that MW will probably stay smaller and more compact than White Cloud would. My flower beds also have enriched soil to accommodate roses, so it may end up being your size as well. Maybe a midsummer trim will keep it in bounds, I will have to experiment with that. The other option I have will be to plant MW right in front of some taller hybrid teas, they tend to loose their lower foliage and a slightly sprawling MW might be just the thing I need to hide bare legs...

Thanks again, Pat!
    M.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    11 years ago

I grow C. grandiflora ''Variegata' which I fell in love with when I saw it.

{{gwi:283768}}

11 years ago

Your welcome. All of my soil has also been enriched as my first plant addictions were roses and clematis also. Daylilies have enjoyed living here but many perennials that I like grow much larger than they might other wise be. Montrose white is a gorgeous plant that I'll find someplace for. I placed one with a rose bush and they will look good together. May have to dead head at night or break of dawn to sneak past the bees. Pat

11 years ago

Your welcome. All of my soil has also been enriched as my first plant addictions were roses and clematis also. Daylilies have enjoyed living here but many perennials that I like grow much larger than they might other wise be. Montrose white is a gorgeous plant that I'll find someplace for. I placed one with a rose bush and they will look good together. May have to dead head at night or break of dawn to sneak past the bees. Pat

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    11 years ago

pattyw5 wrote: Montrose White was about 18" h but a good 3ft. wide.

That is disappointing. I was excited about using this flowerifeous well behaved plant with the often 'advertised' size of around 1 ft by 1.5 ft; much more compact as compared to other Calamints.

But 3 feet in spread is too big for what I have in mind.

11 years ago

Rouge21
    I, as well was hoping for a more demure stature. It is smaller than White Cloud. Would certainly like to know if it stayed smaller for anyone else. Wish I had taken a photo of it last year so you would be able to see it.