Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catkin_gw

Let's Talk Trees and Shrubs!

catkin
9 years ago

What are some of your faves? Not so fave? Pics appreciated! When the goin' gets tough, the tough post pics!

Here's just one of mine, Viburnum sargentii 'Onondaga'. It needs to be shortened, though--the blooms are mostly above my head!

This post was edited by catkin on Mon, Dec 15, 14 at 14:44

Comments (64)

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Falluga paradoxa, another SW native shrub. Tough as nails, it blooms white and simultaneously has these plumed seeds forming continually all season long from spring to fall so it glows when backlit. The plumes start out pink and then turn white and as the season progresses it just keeps getting more and more. They are still on the shrub in December, its also glows if lit artificially outdoors.

• greenhearted Z5a IL
    9 years ago

Lovely photos all! My project for next fall is more shrubs and trees so I will be stalking this thread...

I just started collecting information on potential suitors and here is who I have so far:

Fothergilla ('Mt. Airy' looks nice)
    Rhus typhina 'Lacinata' ... can be very enthusiastic but I have longed for it since I laid eyes on the large specimen at the college I attended (sadly, this garden area which also contained an impressive bald cypress has been demolished)
    Oakleaf hydrangea and/or Hydrangea paniculata
    Bayberry (don't have any experience with this one)
    Witchhazel
    Viburnums - but which one(s)?
    White fringetree
    New Jersey Tea

And I am sure by spring I will have many more. It will be hard to narrow down the right choices! But the dreaming is half the fun :) I know over the summer there was a thread floating around for favorite smaller shrubs that I will hunt down.

• ked1985
    9 years ago

Love the winterberry! I just planted two VERY small seedlings I got from my county cooperative in the spring and they grew maybe a couple inches lol. Very slow, and I'm not sure if they are male and female, but I guess we'll find out!

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

Greenhearted, I planted two seedlings of Rhus trilobata (Three Leaf Sumac) and sowed quite a few seeds I collected late spring. I looked up the R. typhina. I love these shrubs, especially for the fall color and berries which you can use for spice or a lemonade type of drink. The ones I collected seeds from were lovely thick shrubs that were loaded with fuzzy berries and small leaves. I see R. typhina growing wild along the roadsides but I saw one planted in a city median which was a stunning contrast in fall in both color and texture. They create thickets so I don't have the room but I'm sorely tempted just the same for that bright red color and the loads of berries.

Winterberry is one that suckers quite a bit. At our church there are some large ones with suckers coming up quite a distance from the original plants. I imagine I could ask and they'd let me dig up two or three since they clip them down to the ground. Don't you think it would be a good way to start one? They are very tall and have a rather vertical habit.

I picked up a Viburnum at the last sale at TLC. It was unmarked so I have no idea what it is. It was a 5 gallon pot and a pretty sad looking damaged plant for only $5.00. Who could resist? Time will tell. The few leaves it has turned a nice color this fall and it did put out a tiny bit of growth.

Rhus trilobata--

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

It would be tough for me not to have a Serviceberry.

Be it spring flowers...

{{gwi:2120736}}

Or fall color...

And the berries make a great pie.

tj

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

For many years, sorbus reigned supreme in my mental arboretum. Perfect smaller trees including the 2 lovely pink berried types - S.vilmorinii and the gorgeous S.hupehensis 'Pink Pagoda, white berried and dainty S.cashmerinii and even the common mountain ash, sorbus aucuparia. My eldest son is named Rowan.
    And I utterly agree, servicejunkie, amelanchiers have it all - great blossom, lovely autumn colour, fabulous fruits.
    However, in my woods, I see a great future for the humble crab. The ubiquitous Everest and Red Sentinel always look cheerful, making great urban trees...but I am growing a handful of ornamental crabs including malus brevipes 'Wedding Bouquet' - a white flowered spreading tree, in contrast to m.tschonoskii - more upright with great late colour and tiny translucent crab apples. However, the tree at the top of my Xmas list is the absolutely beautiful m.transitoria 'Golden Raindrops'.I have been working opposite one all week - but cannot provide a photo as I am having 'technical issues'...so you will have to take my word that thousands of perfect amber jewels are festooned along the elegantly arrayed branches - Oh yes, I cannot imagine why the malus family has been overlooked (by myself) for far too long...but I intend to rectify that oversight in the coming years..

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Campanula did you ever get your S vilmorinii to berry well? I've had one for years and I am seriously considering giving it the chop. It never produces more than a few clusters of berries, despite plenty of flowers. Any suggestions why?

I got rid of Malus Golden Hornet after getting fed up with the rotting brown fruit clinging to the branches all winter looking horrible.

• Campanula UK Z8
    9 years ago

Flora - the vilmorinii has nothing like the prolific abundance of the hupehensis. Sparser in all its parts. Accustomed to seeing mountain ash all over the acid and wet north and Scotland, I expected a feeble performance on my thin, sandy alkaline soil...but nope, like the similar cashmeriensis, some of these rowans seem to like it on the dry...or at least on the well-drained side. The birds are mad for them too. In truth, they (vilmorinii and cashmeriensis) are a bit niminey-piminey, especially for the woods where our common aucuparia is supreme...but they have been pretty allotment additions, adding height without loss of light. Do have a look at Pink Pagoda though - not only does it have many berries, they are set off by glaucous, almost bloomy foliage with the most delightfully delicate pinnate leaves (Yep, despite my new love, admiration for rowans remains undimmed).
    Some of the malus cultivars are prone to fireblight and cankers - John Downie coming instantly to mind. I am thinking of trying (the horribly named) Jelly King though..

Have got seeds of toona sinensis 'Flamingo' on the go...as I am something of a pinkie in the garden. And filipendula rubra...chaerophylum and yet more purple leaved angelica sylvestris.
    Malus floribunda?

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

I'm quite fond of this hybrid of the American and Asian smokebushes,....Cotinus 'Grace'.... big and butch, yet tough enough to be smothered by Clematis...even as a young plant.... just love too the large leaves and autumn colour...
    ..it makes me think I'm in..oh I don't know...Vermont?

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    9 years ago

On my very imaginary acreage I have one agus sylvatica 'Cuprea' (Copper Beech tree). I am always in awe of this tree. Two real life trees that I do possess that I enjoy are the Japanese Maples, Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' (Golden Full Moon) and a Filigree Green Lace.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Fri, Dec 19, 14 at 9:05

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

I'm delighted to meet another copper Beech fan, I totally adore these trees, more especially the dark purple type..I think 'cuprea' might be a touch lighter... there are so many near where I live - huge specimens and see them every day, one right from my window... I don't find them to be depressing in any way, there's just something reassuring about them...
    ..for all that, I wouldn't want one in my front garden....

9 years ago

I bet you are correct Marlorena re my misidentifying this glorious tree. You are so lucky to have so many close to you. Many years ago I would purposely go out of my way on my drive home from work to go down a street to see a property which has some wonderful specimens. I agree completely re the "reassuring" feel one gets when one sees one; when one walks under one.

This post was edited by rouge21 on Fri, Dec 19, 14 at 11:35

• catkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beautiful pics and great commentary! Here's a no ID Pieris that puts on a show with its new leaves.

• catkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a Hydrangea I got from Heronswood Nursery years ago. Love this bloom!

Sorry about the names...I'm slacking on that end...

This post was edited by catkin on Sat, Dec 20, 14 at 1:59

• catkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Heather--yum!

• catkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Stewartia pseudocamellia back and center in June.

• catkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The sweetly scented, large hip-forming, simple Rosa rugosa 'Rubra'--with some sort of bug taking a nap in the center.

• catkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rosa rugosa 'Hansa" which has a lovely spicy scent that I adore.

• catkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rosa rugosa's hip.

• catkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Physocarpus opulifolius 'Diablo' (Ninebark) a smidge out of focus.

• catkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Viburnum opulus

• catkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rosa 'Ballerina'

• catkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Deutzia with butterfly.

• catkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Can anyone ID this Clematis?

• catkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A young Hydrangea macrophylla bloom.

• catkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Escallonia langleyensis 'Apple Blossom'.

• catkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hebe buxifolia--box-leaf Hebe. I dearly love Hebes.

• catkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hebe 'Red Edge'

• catkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kalmia latifolia 'Sarah'

This post was edited by catkin on Sat, Dec 20, 14 at 1:36

• catkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Berberis thunbergii 'Orange Rocket'? I have a pair of these in pots--they never disappoint in their color!

• catkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rosa glauca hips

• catkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Fave tree--Cercidiphyllum japonicum (Katsura) turning color in the Fall.

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

catkin, I adore all those photos.. and some very familiar to us over here too...
    I think that Clematis is 'Etoile Violette'... I've got 2 and looks just like mine there...
    ..that would be my guess..

..you've got some lovely plants...

9 years ago

Outstanding 'catkin'. Thank you.

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

philadelphus natchez, rosa nevada, viburnum opulus

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    9 years ago

my garden consists of ornamental trees and shrubs with a smattering of perennials underneath. they are so easy and aside from a pruning for some here and there, practically take care of themselves. i do enjoy the bonus of any food source either nectar or berries for our garden friends, especially early in spring or later in fall.

we lost our hawthorn tree a few weeks ago to a heavy, wet snow storm. snapped it right off. that is a great tree that i don't think is used enough in gardens. in the spring the white flowers are completely covered by buzzing insects of all types. when the berries are ready in late fall the birds go crazy for them. and it also has fall color and a fairly gnarly structure during the bare, winter months.

i'm with woodyoak and heptacodium. wouldn't be without that one for late flowers for the insects.

spireas are a great group of shrubs with so many options to fit many spaces. i shear them after bloom and they bloom a second time later in the summer and the fall foliage on almost all of them has been great. my front slope has i think 4 varieties of spirea on it.

there's also a dwarf alberta spruce. i have many of those throughout the yard. they stand up to snow so well and the deer don't eat them. i've all but given up on most other needle evergreens.

can't be without viburnums in my garden. i have many varieties, some flower only and others flower and berry. 'Cardinal Candy' is a great shrub that gets beautiful red berries. 'Michael Dodge' gets yellow/orange berries. The form on many of the plicatum tomentosum varieties are nicely layered and flower freely.
    {{gwi:2120737}}

fringe tree was mentioned above. this is a pic of fringetree, a japanese maple and calycanthus 'Hartlage Wine' which if anyone can get their hands on one, they should! also in that border are a few spirea and leucothoe.

physocarpus and wegelia are also great shrubs with so many different options for size. this is 'Diablo' that has taken on a weeping effect due to a nasty snowstorm a number of years ago, but i love it because now i can really see the flowers when i walk up the stairs. and there's a wegelia that i've been playing around with trying to keep it a bit in check and more of a standard-ish look.
    {{gwi:693124}}

we have a "charlie brown" crabapple that the birds love, but the woodpeckers do quite a number on it. i can't quite believe each year when it is actually still alive and flowering. when in flower it doesn't look as scrawny as it really is! the critters also love the berries in fall. i got rid of all my other crabapples because we would get tent caterpillars in the spring and webworm in the fall and i got tired of fighting the battle. this one for some reason never has any issues.
    {{gwi:217497}}

pieris and kalmia are great options for a slightly shadier spot. also so many choices that one is sure to fit a need.

winterberry and beautyberry are great shrubs that require so little care but can get quite large so need space.

deutzias are great spring bloomers and caryopteris are great fall bloomers. bees love both!

can't leave out hydrangeas, roses, clethra, itea, fothergilla, hypericum and i'm sure so many more.

gee, i better do a different post for favorite trees since this one is long!

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

I'm not afraid of white on white, so I love that Nevada with the Viburnum in David's garden...^^

..also not seen a 'Diablo' quite like the one above here....

all lovely photos...

• catkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like the lawn, too but less is better! I'm vowing to keep on top of the weeding this next year!

I love shrubs and trees almost a much as perennials I'm glad you enjoy the photos! I love seeing everyone/s pics!

Here's the monkey puzzle tree--been in the ground almost 25 years--it was 2 feet tall when planted.

• catkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

With morning sunrise.

• catkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Spirea Gold or Lime Mound putting on a show this Fall. I've had two of these for many years. They were very common once but i never see them for sale locally now. Spireas are invaluable if you ask me!

This one was cut back severely in late Summer and came back in gold, green, red and yellow!

• catkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Same Spirea--I love these colors!

• catkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the Satomi dogwood's fruit(?)

• catkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hardy Fuchsia magellanica 'Alba' I think, what do you all think?

• catkin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The common Euonymus fortunei 'Emerald and Gold'? I've had this so long I forget! Like the Spirea, this is an easy going shrub for me and I love it. Some can't stand them!

• greenhearted Z5a IL
    9 years ago

Oh what a splendid feast of color and texture!

Catkin, I love the textures of hebe and the monkey puzzle tree and sure wish I could grow them here.

TexasRanger, nice color on your Rhus triloba! Another commonly used Rhus here is R. aromatica, usually sheared into a tall groundcover. Super tough and fabulous fall color.

thyme2dig, I really like your combination with the Japanese maple, fringetree and calycanthus!

I have added katsura tree to my list :)

There is a magnificent weeping beech tree at the Chicago botanic garden... I always have a hard time parting myself from its protective umbrella.

I love serviceberries as well but I am concerned that they might suffer with the Japanese beetle plague we get here. Anyone have any experience with that?

• bellarosa
    9 years ago

GreenHearted,
    The Japanese beetles LOVE serviceberry. I had one and removed it because of that.

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

..this might be a weed or illegal to plant in some areas
    and it's new to us here... a hybrid of the Surinam Cherry...

Eugenia 'Etna Fire'... I love it's summer foliage and has myrtle like flowers from August - December,
    then these cherries appear in Spring...
    I grow it in a container...it's hardy to -7 celsius apparently and survives here so far for 2 years...
    it's quite a vigorous grower when the weather warms up...
    {{gwi:2120738}}From

{{gwi:2120739}}From

RE: Let's Talk Trees and Shrubs!

whoops...sorry folks.. something went wrong there...
    sincere apologies....

This post was edited by Marlorena on Sun, Dec 28, 14 at 18:56

RE: Let's Talk Trees and Shrubs!

Bellarosa ... as I expected. :( Thank you for confirming.

Post a Follow-Up
    Your Name:

Your Email Address:

Zone (optional):

Subject of Posting:

Optional Link URL:

Name of the Link:

A copy of further followups will be emailed to this poster.
    Return to the Perennials Forum

This post was edited by Marlorena on Sun, Dec 28, 14 at 18:56

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

whoops...sorry folks.. something went wrong there...
    sincere apologies....

• greenhearted Z5a IL
    9 years ago

Bellarosa ... as I expected. :( Thank you for confirming.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?