Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nightnurse21

My Coleus Garden Pics ( Post yours too )

nightnurse21
12 years ago

I LOVE coleus color> and live in the caribbean and would love to see what other coleus lovers have in they gardens too,lets make this thread huge

Comments (29)

• nightnurse21
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OLDER COLEUS

These are much older pics and have been cut so dont look the same but are the same ones I do have now,If you know the names feel free to tell me

{{gwi:284315}}

{{gwi:256268}}

NEWER ONES COMING....

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

Nice collection nightnurse! I know coleus are perennial in more tropical climates. Are they perennial for you, or do you have to replant yearly?

Most folks here grow them as annuals, so you may end up getting more responses/pictures if you post this over on the Annuals forum...although I don't mind sharing here at all.

I�ve really come to like coleus too. A lovely lady on GW who I traded with sent me a bunch of them last year, which I over wintered indoors quite successfully. They are easier to grow inside than some houseplants as a matter of fact, lol!

Here is a picture of a couple containers I planted with coleus and other annuals this past year:

{{gwi:284317}}

I've got other pics of coleus, but they are of individual plants and are probably not all that interesting.

If you want to try and find out what yours might be you should check out this great website: Coleusfinder.org
    CMK

• gardenweed_z6a
    12 years ago

nightnurse & christin - thanks for sharing your photos!

Coleus are shade-loving annuals where I am but I wouldn't go a season without them in containers just because of the rich, stunning & dramatic colors. The foliage has as much impact as many other plants' flowers and can either light up or deepen the effects of some hardy perennials that have finished blooming. I love seeing what other folks have done to incorporate them in their flowerbeds since it gives me ideas for how to use them in my own. While I'm not new to gardening, I'm new to garden design and appreciate all the ideas folks are willing to share.

• rosesstink
    12 years ago

I'm a big fan of coleus too. There's not much variety available around here so if anyone can recommend good sources for seeds I'd appreciate it.

• nightnurse21
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the tips christinmk yes in the caribbean once treated right they are perennials in the tropics but they are not as wide a variety to be found,I have seen the website and they are so many shades or some close to each other in color that it sometimes becomes confusing,I will be place this in the annuals forum too and see how many hits I can get,keep the pics coming

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

I also use coleus in my warm weather pots and then overwinter some of them. I don't have any photos, but I thought I'd add a link to another NH gardener's web page. DeanneArt used to post here on GW and this year had her garden on the Garden Conservancy's Open Days tour. She uses tender perennials beautifully in her gardens, and a number of her photos include coleus in pots in association with other warm season plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: DeanneArt's garden

• rusty_blackhaw
    12 years ago

I use coleus every year in a large subtropical bed which also includes hardy perennials and shrubs. Coleus selections have improved dramatically in recent years, with many varieties that do well in full sun - while seed-grown coleus has lagged behind and has been largely limited to shade varieties.

Now it seems the seed cultivars may be catching up, although I'm not sure they can yet be relied on for mass bedding in sun.

Any thoughts on these varieties for example?

• railroadrabbit
    12 years ago

@rosesticks, a lot of variety of coleus seeds at http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com/annuals/coleus.html

Has anyone ordered from them?

Here is a link that might be useful: 51 varieties of coleus seed

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

I thought I had a better picture... Behind the impatiens, to the left of the Iresine, a couple from seed (Rainbow Mix IIRC).

{{gwi:26530}}

tj

• nightnurse21
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are some others I have

{{gwi:256329}}

{{gwi:256331}}

{{gwi:256332}}

{{gwi:256333}}

{{gwi:256334}}

{{gwi:256335}}

• nightnurse21
    Original Author
    11 years ago

{{gwi:256336}}

• nightnurse21
    Original Author
    11 years ago

{{gwi:256336}}

• eahamel
    11 years ago

Here's one of mine. I'm going to bring it inside for the winter. Others will be dug and put into pots. I have a bunch of coleus and absolutely love them.

Here's a link to a fantastic coleus nursery. I was going to order from them, but found some of the ones I wanted at a local nursery.

Here is a link that might be useful: rareplants coleus

• eahamel
    11 years ago

Another coleus pic. The ones in the front are a border that's about 6' long. I got the plants in 4 packs at HD and they really took off once they were in the ground. The one in the middle is also coming indoors for the winter, and the one in the background is the one in my previous post.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

It would be hard to convince me to change this to boring green lumps and bumps for a few short-lived flowers. I do have perennials, but my goal isn't to fill areas with them. They are the punctuation marks in my COLEUS beds!

11 years ago

Hiding the uglier veggies...

11 years ago

Planted in rusty wash tubs...

11 years ago

With some perennials still too small to distinguish...

11 years ago

In little pots...

11 years ago

Love it with Persian shield (Strobilanthes dyerianus, the purple plant.)

11 years ago

Just because of these LEAVES!

11 years ago

This one I remember is called 'Florida Sun Jade.'

11 years ago

Stormy weather.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

Beautiful, Purple! So are the rest.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    11 years ago

This big red coleus (redhead maybe?) was just a spare cutting that was stuck in a planter. It kind of took over and crowded out all the other stuff that was in there. The other coleus is a smaller creepier one from my mom that she's been growing for years.

11 years ago

Thanks, Eahamel!

I've looked at this thread several times already, love everyone's pics!! It's cloudy today and they sure are cheery.

Here's one I like to touch even more than to look at, it's fuzzy and kind of smells good when gently molested. A cutting I appropriated from a giant planter in Sept. Starting to make a flower stalk.

• nightnurse21
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just wonderful,I will be keeping my eyes out for some of these now

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

You all have some beautiful coleus! I left mine in the WSing containers and forgot about them.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?