Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

Rose of Sharon single trunk

v1rt
15 years ago

I've read somewhere that Rose of Sharon is marginal in Illinois. Back in September, I was at my friend's friend's place at Schaumburg,IL and saw this beautiful 6 ft tall tree or bush. It's got pink flowers. She gave me seven 6-8 inch tall seedlings. It did well until late October then it lost its leaves.

However, I remember seeing some articles/forums/threads that they are only marginal in zone 5a. Like this website link, it mentions 5b and up.

However, some articles I found say that they can live in zone 5a. So will my rose of sharon make it? I know, I will only be able to tell next spring. Right now, it's full covered with snow. But what was your experience?

This is one of the rose of sharon I planted. Picture taken mid October.

{{gwi:268916}}

Comments (16)

• echinaceamaniac
    15 years ago

These are very tough plants. I think it will make it.

• grandmachris
    15 years ago

I volunteered at the food pantry this afternoon. It is a
    building next to a house with a very neglected yard and garden. In the brokendown stone and concrete chunk wall
    along the sidewalk 25 to 30 Rose of Sharon have come by themselves, seeding in the cracks from a bush in the yard. They range in size from 1 to 3 feet tall as ever so often someone cuts or mows them off. They have rooted in
    very securely so that they can't be transplanted. It's
    a testimony to the strength and persistence of plants. In
    August the blooms are beautiful.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    15 years ago

A testimony to Rose of Sharon's famous predilection for prolific seedlings! Sterile cultivars are available, and I recommend getting one of them.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Looks like when my 7 RoS becomes mature, I will have to make more beds. :)

Thanks for the information everyone.

I will post pictures of it in spring.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    15 years ago

You will spend your gardening life weeding them out.

• token28001
    15 years ago

Don't toss it in the spring when it hasn't leafed out. They can be slow, even here in NC. Mine, grown from seed in 2007, didn't put out leaves this year until mid-June.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

you mean, don't transplant until I see the leaves?

• token28001
    15 years ago

I transplanted mine before they leafed out, they're just really slow to wake up for me. Maybe it was because they were only one year old. Just don't give up on it. I planted mine before the leaves so it could have time to adjust and put out new roots. I'm hoping for a better show this year.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glad I found the thread I started last year.

echinaceamaniac, you are correct, they made it! I saw buds this morning. I'll take pictures tomorrow.

• echinaceamaniac
    14 years ago

Awesome! I knew these plants could tough it out. I just wish my Tiki Torch coneflowers got the message. I lost 3 and am now down to only one. Bummer!

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here are the pics. I didn't take the other seedlings. They have similar buds.

{{gwi:284414}}

{{gwi:284415}}

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just want to update you guys/gals about my Rose of Sharon. Finally, they have added about 70% to their height this year. Their height is close to 3 ft tall now but still skinny.

The good news though is that they have flowers buds. :D

{{gwi:284416}}

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Yippee. Congrats.

• gardenweed_z6a
    13 years ago

v1rtu0s1ty - if you want seeds let me know. I have pure white, pink & white w/maroon throat that I can harvest seeds from later this fall. BTW - I've never had any volunteers from mine nor has my neighbor but a friend in the next town west of me gets dozens every year from her mature plant that has white flowers w/maroon throat.

I might still have some seeds for a blue flowered one that I harvested along the road last year. Let me know if you're interested.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

gardenweed_z6a,

Just saw this thread! :D Sure, I want some. I'll post another pic update.

• tasymo
    13 years ago

Don't be surprised if your Rose of Sharon blooms change color! I've got a bush (In mid-Michigan, BTW) that has thrived. It started out with pinkish purple flowers like yours, but after a few years, it suddenly had white blooms with magenta throats. I noticed a few days ago that there is a seedling growing at it's base that has the pinkish flowers. Maybe it's a maturity thing...