Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vieja_gw

purple oxalis ... outdoors?

vieja_gw
13 years ago

I have an old purple oxalis houseplant plant that I have dug some of the 'bulb-lets' up & got numerous new plants started for others who wanted one. I have more than I want as two will 'do me'(!) but don't want to let the others die. Can they be planted outdoors as a perennial here in zone 7? A cousin says she has had one for years growing outdoors year round & it comes up every year when the weather warms up & it is by a south wall but faces north in zone 7. The plants look so delicate & fragile as do the continual pink blooms but looks must be deceiving! Whenever I dig up some of the little rooted 'bulbs', the whole plant wilts & I was the first time afraid I had killed the whole plant but soon the plant begins to come up from the ground again. Sure light-loving as I have to turn the plants several times a day as they soon turn to face the window!

Comments (10)

• denninmi
    13 years ago

Does your ground freeze where you are. I suspect it would probably survive the winter with a good mulch in Zone 7, as long as the ground around it doesn't freeze.

Actually, a lot of things are more hardy than given credit for, as long as they have a good location and get some mulch. I've got a number of out-of-zone plants from more moderate climates, like Zone 7 and even a few Zone 8, to survive here in Michigan with deep mulching.

• vieja_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

denninmi: yes the ground freezes here (except this 'La Niña' winter when few things have frozen yet!)in zone 7 & usually will get to the 'teens some winters (or minus 17 one record year!)so winters here are quite variable. I think then I will keep the extras alive til next Spring & try planting them outdoors in an area where I will remember where I planted them. Such a pretty purple leaf, delicate plant & I have it in a pot hanging from the vigas in from of a south facing window in full sun! Does take a lot of water though! What are these 'bulb lets' that I call them... are they called bulbs?

• vieja_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

vetivert8: I shall transplant some of mine to a more gravely soil in a big pot as you suggested... thanks! It does get 'leggy' now!

Out of curiosity, why do you have 'worse names' for oxalis?! I have seen the green leafed ones & some wild relatives I guess are of the same family but this dark purple one is rather pretty even with the tiny pink flowers! Oh... I can let some of the potted plants die back & go dormant until I want to water them & let them grow up again? People tend to give me the plants they don't want or are sickly & dying knowing I can't let anything die or throw it away if there is still life in them, so... here I have all the rescue plants in the house that- though are doing quite well now with my TLC, are -taking up so much room & time caring for them... guess they are good for the room conditions/air quality anyway!
    - M

• Donna
    13 years ago

I have had purple oxalis (white, too) outside for at least four years now with no problems. I do put a good mulch on that bed each fall. These plants get a bad rap because of the infinitely prolific and weedy common oxalis. You know which one it is: yellow flowers and you get at least one free with seemingly every plant purchase.

• spazzycat_1
    13 years ago

I would not be without this plant in the garden. I have grown it outside in the garden for 15 years in various exposures. It likes a part-shade/shade spot in well-drained soil. Never had an issue with its hardiness and it has reliably returned, even after a winter low of 0 degrees.

• vieja_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I shall then try & plant some this Spring outdoors in a place where I will remember it was planted! Yes, my indoor purple oxalis does have quite leggy stems even though it is old and has never been let go dormant so flowers all the time in a pot in a wire basket hung from a hook in a ceiling viga by a east window. I now have to make several more pots from the bulbs as so many people who see it want a start of it! So I should use gravely well drained mix? Does it need much fertilizing? What I use now is very sandy & it does need watering quite often. Thanks so much for all your helpful ideas ... I do like this plant!

• feygraphica
    11 years ago

Okay, so it's bad that my oxalis (purple and green) are out in full sun? They've been doing well, growing and flowering but now some edges seem a bit burnt... perhaps I should move it. Would hate to bring them inside until I absolutely have to.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

I have always grown purple oxalis in the full, blazing sun...in the South! It stays compact, in full flower, and without problems of any kind. A heavy frost will zap it into a winter's sleep where single digit temps are fairly common.

Inside, I don't know how you 'd provide enough light to keep it from becoming leggy and spider mite -y.

If the edges are burnt I would suspect a cultural problem...too much water, poor drainage, excess fertilization, etc. Sunburn would not appear just on the edges.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

your ground freezes in z7??? .. wow .. never thunk it so ..????

the key here is.. they are EXTRA.. just do it ... what downside is there??? throw them away ...

let us know.. next spring.. how it works out..

presumably.. the two you keep indoors.. will have more babes to try outdoors next year ...

now.. why are you keeping two potted INDOORS for summer??? ... they should go outside.. in their pot.. in full shade.. for the summer ... until the last minute before frost or freeze comes..

you will be surprised how good it will look.. come xmas ... and the doldrums of winter ... as long as you dont forget to water it out there ...

ken