Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help......

Posted by breezienj NJ (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 7, 08 at 0:47

I know this is going to sound very ignorant but I am freaking out...... I have a pond with goldfish (4-5 inches) and 2 large planium Koi (16-18") They have gone through 3 winters already. THis has been a very mild winter until this week. It went from 40-50 degree to 10 over night and our pond froze over. (we have a heater so I wasn't worried) now that it's warm again the ice melted and the two large koi's are floating on their sides right in the middle of the pond....not on top of the water and not all the way down. At first I thought they were hibernating but now I am thinking they are dead! I am so heart broken we got these beautiful fish when they were only 4". What do you think??? The reason I thought they were hibernating is because I had read an article saying if you feed the fish to late in the winter they will lay sideways toward the surface trying to have the sun help digest the food I stupidly fed them. Any guesses? Ughghhh....thanks for your time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help......

• Posted by horton 6 b Ontario. (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 7, 08 at 7:13

breezeinji, I have transferred your post over to the pond "Discussions" page, where it should receive more attention. I re-titled it "Fish lying on sides?"
This page is just used for general conversations, about nothing in particular, just like the Seinfeld TV show!
"Horton"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here