Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleeplessinftwayne

WiFi?? or am I going nutz??

sleeplessinftwayne
18 years ago

I thought I got rid of these stray icons on my start up page when I had the talk with the local teenage computer geek but now I have two new ones plus when I goto a forum I get a nice rendition of Taps. I am beginning to wonder if my wireless mouse is picking up noise by accident or design. One icon gives me someone's messages and the other one shows two cute kids getting caught by C3D's ghost/screamer. Mucky waters, I think they are yours. I've never seen this particular video on the pond forum but I could have missed it. Does anyone have any ideas? I'll tackle the Kid again but I really don't think he's that smart yet. Sandy

Comments (18)

• chickadeedeedee
    18 years ago

I am sorry that you are still having problems with your computer, Sandy. This is one issue for which I do NOT need to
    go to Confession !

Hope you figure it out soon.

C3D :-)

• youreit
    18 years ago

Sandy, I think someone (hehe, you know who you are!) inserted the rendition of TAPS into the "Heimlich the caterpillar" thread of C3D's (after little Heimie passed on).

As for the other links on your desktop, it sounds like your computer saved them there after you viewed them. Maybe?

Brenda

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Chickie, I'm sorry about Heimlich. He was a very pretty caterpiller and well deserving of Taps. Obviously I can't accuse him of hitching a free ride on my computer but why does it play on other threads??
    Brenda, thanks for the suggestion and I will try to track down the originals. However the links in question were never viewed by me or sent to me,although my computer saved them, I don't know how they were accessed. I certainly never used mime or messages, which is what I see here. I think they originated in Fort Wayne since many of the addresses are familiar businesses. Guess I'll follow them for a while. Sandy

• mucky_waters
    18 years ago

Sandy I'm not sure what your computer problem is all about, but if you got things popping up on your screen it sounds like some sort of spy-ware to me, not anything to do with your wireless mouse. Easy to check out for sure though, disconnect that wireless mouse and get a regular mouse, if the problems go away then you know it was probably the wireless mouse, if not, better invest in a good Anti-spyware program.
    As for the video you are talking about that you think was mine, it was posted by Semper in the "Jokes" thread. Here is a link. It's not my kids in the video, but it was an easy mistake. I kind of for a second though it was one of my videos too . LOL
    I did actually show a video like that too my wife and youngest son. The reaction was not good, they were both very upset with me. I'm use to my wife being upset with me, but not my son. I wouldn't do it again, it's just mean :(

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Mucky Waters. I am vastly relieved that was not your video. I was having nasty thoughts about you as well. As for the strange things popping up on my start screen I have decided to apply the delete key and drive the gremlins crazy that way. My TV continues to turn on and off between 3 and 5 am but I can live with that so long as I am not watching a documentary onthe superbowl right then. Sandy

• jeffahayes
    18 years ago

It's them danged ALIENS again!!!

I keep tellin' y'all, but nobody pays ME no never mind!

• hnladue
    18 years ago

Did you hear something?? Like a whisper? Oh well, must be me.

• youreit
    17 years ago

Hey, Sandy! Are you still having issues with your computer? I thought of you when I saw this article while reading the news this morning. :)

Not sure if there's anything pertaining to your specific problem, but lots of good info there.

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Never Call Tech Support Again!

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey there, Brandy. Thanks for the link. Believe it or not, I was once a computer sales/repair person. Many times, simply talking to a person would give me a clue. For example: I once had a customer who bought a brand new model haul it back saying "It won't even boot". I believed him and sent the machine to repair only to have it sent back with the note there was nothing wrong. The customer took it back to his office and an hour later was back with the system and the same complaint. I hooked it up in the store and it booted up just fine. The customer and I chatted for half an hour and he mentioned his offices were in an old telephone exchange building that had been converted. Eureka!! I told him to set up his computer on the opposite side of the room. Half an hour later I got a call from him saying everything was working fine and how did I know that was the solution. From what he told me, I figured the interior wall had been where all the cables had been for the Telephone exchange or the cables were still there and the walls had picked up a charge that interfered with the computer. After some investigation the customer, who was a lawyer, found out the cables were still there and and the walls did have a charge, filed a lawsuit about it as a hazard to his and his employees health. LOL. Sandy

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I forgot to mention, the tv still turns on by itself at 4 am. Last night the indicator showed a dl with a little cursor beside it going around in circles. Weird.

• youreit
    17 years ago

Wow! You really know your stuff, Sandy!

I'm thinking that maybe it's time to call in the Ghost Hunters. :D

Brenda

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sometimes I think my whole life is plugged into weird. I once mentioned that to a friend and she said it was because I observe more than most people and besides, I see things from a different point of view. I have no idea how that would result in a tv turning itself on and off or strange digits on the cable control box. Maybe I attract gremlins. Sandy

• youreit
    17 years ago

OMG, night before last. Heading to beddy-bye, DH says, "That's weird. The TV just turned on." The old TV (haven't watched it in years) in the bedroom TURNS ON!!!! I'm not kidding. Even when we used to watch it, it never turned on by itself! Not in the 10+ years we've lived here. Holy carp. Take it back, Sandy! We don't want it! *nervous giggle*

Brenda

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I would only worry if it was not plugged in. In the meantime, I'm going to put a Ouiji board out for nervous giggles. The last time it was used we had a very disconcerting conversation with something that claimed it didn't get born because it's mother fell off of a ladder. Did I mention I attract weird? Sandy

• youreit
    17 years ago

Ok, it was plugged in. We haven't been able to find the remote for about the last 5 years, so my theory that DH stepped on it is wrong.

I'm too scared to try the Ouija board, now that I've read your story. Maybe I'll try making "it" angry and see what happens. LOL

Brenda

• semper_fi
    17 years ago

"The last time it was used we had a very disconcerting conversation with something that claimed it didn't get born because it's mother fell off of a ladder."

I've never had much luck with Ouija boards. Below is a video recording of the last decoded message they sent me...

Here is a link that might be useful: Ouija Board Message

• youreit
    17 years ago

I blew the 'tine out my nose after I received the message, Fig eye! LOL

The truth is out there.

Agent Brandy

• sleeplessinftwayne
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ROTFLMAO, Semper! I have always wanted to laugh off such devices as toys for the weak-minded. Unfortunately, friends and relations refuse to use them when I am around because the answers that start coming are just too spooky. When I leave, the answers are the standard foolery. When I try to use one on my own, it won't move an inch but put someone else in the opposite seat and it's like the planchette is skating on oil. We even tried blindfolding the ones touching the thing and letting someone else record the letters when it went slowly enough to read but it still gives really uncomfortable responses. Since the mom on the ladder session I admit to some trepidation about the whole thing. Sandy